io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* io-uring
@ 2021-10-23  8:08 Praveen Kumar
From: Praveen Kumar @ 2021-10-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring, axboe

Hello,

I am Praveen and have worked on couple of projects in my professional experience, that includes File system driver and TCP stack development.
I came across fs/io_uring.c and was interested to know more in-depth about the same and the use-cases, this solves.
In similar regards, I read https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf and going through liburing. I'm interested to add value to this project.

I didn't find any webpage or TODO items, which I can start looking upon. Please guide me and let me know if there are any small items to start with.
Also, is there any irc channel or email group apart from io-uring@vger.kernel.org, where I can post my queries(design specific or others).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

~Praveen.

* Re: io-uring
@ 2021-10-23 15:02 ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2021-10-23 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Praveen Kumar, io-uring

On 10/23/21 2:08 AM, Praveen Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Praveen and have worked on couple of projects in my professional
> experience, that includes File system driver and TCP stack
> development. I came across fs/io_uring.c and was interested to know
> more in-depth about the same and the use-cases, this solves. In
> similar regards, I read https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf and going
> through liburing. I'm interested to add value to this project.
>
> I didn't find any webpage or TODO items, which I can start looking
> upon. Please guide me and let me know if there are any small items to
> start with. Also, is there any irc channel or email group apart from
> io-uring@vger.kernel.org, where I can post my queries(design specific
> or others).

Great that you are interested! It's quite a fast moving project, but
still plenty of things to tackle and improve. All discussion happens on
the io-uring mailing list, we don't have a more realtime communication
channel. Might make sense to setup a slack channel or something... But
for now I'd encourage you to just participate on the mailing list, and
question there are a good way to do it too.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: io-uring
@ 2021-10-24  3:22   ` Ammar Faizi
From: Ammar Faizi @ 2021-10-24  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe; +Cc: Praveen Kumar, io-uring

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:02:24 -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
>On 10/23/21 2:08 AM, Praveen Kumar wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am Praveen and have worked on couple of projects in my professional
>> experience, that includes File system driver and TCP stack
>> development. I came across fs/io_uring.c and was interested to know
>> more in-depth about the same and the use-cases, this solves. In
>> similar regards, I read https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf and going
>> through liburing. I'm interested to add value to this project.
>>
>> I didn't find any webpage or TODO items, which I can start looking
>> upon. Please guide me and let me know if there are any small items to
>> start with. Also, is there any irc channel or email group apart from
>> io-uring@vger.kernel.org, where I can post my queries(design specific
>> or others).
>
>Great that you are interested! It's quite a fast moving project, but
>still plenty of things to tackle and improve. All discussion happens on
>the io-uring mailing list, we don't have a more realtime communication
>channel. Might make sense to setup a slack channel or something... But
>for now I'd encourage you to just participate on the mailing list, and
>question there are a good way to do it too.

Hello,

We have several unresolved issues on liburing GitHub repo. Maybe they
can be the TODO list?

Most of them are kernel side issue, so they need to be resolved from
io_uring.

Link: https://github.com/axboe/liburing/issues

I would love to contribute too. But my experience in kernel space
programming is not yet ready for that. I can test the patches. I
can also integrate the feature with liburing, create regression test,
and some userspace stuff work.

Recently, I nudged this one:
  https://github.com/axboe/liburing/issues/397

The work is to add recvfrom() and sendto() operation. You can CC me if
you're willing to pick up this work. I can do the liburing part and
create the test.

--
Ammar Faizi

* Re: io-uring
@ 2021-10-25  9:22     ` Praveen Kumar
From: Praveen Kumar @ 2021-10-25  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ammar Faizi, Jens Axboe; +Cc: io-uring

On 24-10-2021 08:52, Ammar Faizi wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 09:02:24 -0600, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On 10/23/21 2:08 AM, Praveen Kumar wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am Praveen and have worked on couple of projects in my professional
>>> experience, that includes File system driver and TCP stack
>>> development. I came across fs/io_uring.c and was interested to know
>>> more in-depth about the same and the use-cases, this solves. In
>>> similar regards, I read https://kernel.dk/io_uring.pdf and going
>>> through liburing. I'm interested to add value to this project.
>>>
>>> I didn't find any webpage or TODO items, which I can start looking
>>> upon. Please guide me and let me know if there are any small items to
>>> start with. Also, is there any irc channel or email group apart from
>>> io-uring@vger.kernel.org, where I can post my queries(design specific
>>> or others).
>>
>> Great that you are interested! It's quite a fast moving project, but
>> still plenty of things to tackle and improve. All discussion happens on
>> the io-uring mailing list, we don't have a more realtime communication
>> channel. Might make sense to setup a slack channel or something... But
>> for now I'd encourage you to just participate on the mailing list, and
>> question there are a good way to do it too.
>>

> Hello,
>
> We have several unresolved issues on liburing GitHub repo. Maybe they
> can be the TODO list?
>
> Most of them are kernel side issue, so they need to be resolved from
> io_uring.
>
> Link: https://github.com/axboe/liburing/issues

This is great info. Thanks.

> I would love to contribute too. But my experience in kernel space
> programming is not yet ready for that. I can test the patches. I
> can also integrate the feature with liburing, create regression test,
> and some userspace stuff work.
>
> Recently, I nudged this one:
>   https://github.com/axboe/liburing/issues/397
>
> The work is to add recvfrom() and sendto() operation. You can CC me if
> you're willing to pick up this work. I can do the liburing part and
> create the test.

That's great. Let me give a try to get hold on this specific issue and will CC you once I have some understanding built.

Regards,

~Praveen.