IO-Uring Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Glauber Costa <glauber@scylladb.com>
To: Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>
Cc: io-uring@vger.kernel.org, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk>,
	Avi Kivity <avi@scylladb.com>
Subject: Re: shutdown not affecting connection?
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 13:54:01 -0500

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2020-02-08 08:55:25 -0500, Glauber Costa wrote:
> > - A connect() call is issued (and in the backend I can choose if I use
> > uring or not)
> > - The connection is supposed to take a while to establish.
> > - I call shutdown on the file descriptor
> >
> > If io_uring is not used:
> > - connect() starts by  returning EINPROGRESS as expected, and after
> > the shutdown the file descriptor is finally made ready for epoll. I
> > call getsockopt(SOL_SOCKET, SO_ERROR), and see the error (104)
> >
> > if io_uring is used:
> > - if the SQE has the IOSQE_ASYNC flag on, connect() never returns.
>
> That should be easy enough to reproduce without seastar as it sounds
> deterministic - how about modifying liburing's test/connect.c test to
> behave this way?

My plan was to work on that on Monday, but I wanted to get the message
earlier in case it was a known issue or rang an obvious bell. It seems like it's
not, so I'll stick to my plan.

> Hm, any chance you set O_NONBLOCK on the fd, before calling the async
> connect?

In fact I do the opposite, and I force-remove the O_NONBLOCK flag.

But I actually played around with it while chasing this, and I did, at
some point
set O_NONBLOCK.

This is what the seastar code for connect (without uring) looks like:

// socket is non-block here
    pfd->get_file_desc().connect(sa.u.sa, sa.length());
    return pfd->writeable().then([pfd]() mutable {
        auto err = pfd->get_file_desc().getsockopt<int>(SOL_SOCKET, SO_ERROR);
        if (err != 0) {
            throw std::system_error(err, std::system_category());
        }
        return make_ready_future<>();
    });

So it essentially issues a nonblock connect, writes for the fd to be
writeable, and then uses getsockopt to figure out what happened.

With io_uring, what I see on an unblocked socket is:
- it returns EINPROGRESS as I would expect
- it is not ever made writeable.

> Wonder if io_connect()
>         file_flags = force_nonblock ? O_NONBLOCK : 0;
>
>         ret = __sys_connect_file(req->file, &io->connect.address,
>                                         req->connect.addr_len, file_flags);
>         if ((ret == -EAGAIN || ret == -EINPROGRESS) && force_nonblock) {
> fully takes into account that __sys_connect_file
>         err = sock->ops->connect(sock, (struct sockaddr *)address, addrlen,
>                                  sock->file->f_flags | file_flags);
> appears to leave O_NONBLOCK set on the file in place, which'd then
> not block in the wq?

Isn't not-block the exact opposite of I am seeing ?
If this was really not blocking, I'd expect that to return me
something immediately, even if it was the wrong thing