IO-Uring Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Mark Papadakis <markuspapadakis@icloud.com>
To: io-uring@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Feature: zero-copy splice API/opcode
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 16:58:12 +0200

Greetings,

I ‘ve been trying to replicate the benefits provided by sendfile() using e.g O_DIRECT access, together with IOSQE_IO_LINK in SQE flags and MSG_ZEROCOPY, but it doesn’t appear to work. Other ideas didn’t work either.

I would really appreciate a sendfile like SQE opcode, but maybe some sort of generic DMA/zero-copy based opcode based on splice semantics could be implemented, so that e.g a vmsplice() like alternative could also work.

(That would be the last remaining bit of functionality missing from io_uring, now that Jens has implemented support for IOSQE_ASYNC, IORING_REGISTER_EVENTFD_ASYNC and for managing epoll FDs, for enabling support for io_uring on https://github.com/phaistos-networks/TANK ).

Thank you,
@markpapadakis