io-uring.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Feature: zero-copy splice API/opcode
@ 2020-01-09 14:58 Mark Papadakis
From: Mark Papadakis @ 2020-01-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: io-uring

Greetings,

I ‘ve been trying to replicate the benefits provided by sendfile() using e.g O_DIRECT access, together with IOSQE_IO_LINK in SQE flags and MSG_ZEROCOPY, but it doesn’t appear to work. Other ideas didn’t work either.

I would really appreciate a sendfile like SQE opcode, but maybe some sort of generic DMA/zero-copy based opcode based on splice semantics could be implemented, so that e.g a vmsplice() like alternative could also work.

(That would be the last remaining bit of functionality missing from io_uring, now that Jens has implemented support for IOSQE_ASYNC, IORING_REGISTER_EVENTFD_ASYNC and for managing epoll FDs, for enabling support for io_uring on https://github.com/phaistos-networks/TANK ).

Thank you,
@markpapadakis

* Re: Feature: zero-copy splice API/opcode
@ 2020-01-12 21:21 ` Pavel Begunkov
From: Pavel Begunkov @ 2020-01-12 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Papadakis, io-uring