iwd.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Unable to connect to a EAP-PEAP network
@ 2023-05-23 12:50 Florian Coste
From: Florian Coste @ 2023-05-23 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: iwd

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a wireless connection to a EAP-PEAP network. My
company gave me this picture as the only documentation available, so I'm
trying to replicate this NetworkManager GUI setting that you can find
here: https://i.imgur.com/KB38bDr.png

Basically, it should be:
* Authentication EAP-PEAP
* No certificate
* Inner authentication: MSCAPV2

The SSID of the network I'm trying to connect is called "Company
France", so I have a file located at "/var/lib/iwd/Company
France.8021x". There is a space in the SSID but I belive it should not
cause any issue as soon as the file name and the SSID is matching.

Here's the .8021x config file I'm using:
https://iwd.wiki.kernel.org/networkconfigurationsettings#eap-peap_with_tunneled_eap-mschapv2

In case I made a mistake by copying/pasting the config, I've pushing
what I'm using here: http://ix.io/4ww1

I'm launching iwd in debug mode and I see two issues I'm unable to
understand.

First, when I'm writing the file, I have the following error: "Error
the log doesn't explain why the file couldn't be loaded. Here's the full
log: http://ix.io/4wvU

Second issue I have is when I'm trying to connect to this SSID. In the
config file, I don't have username and password set, so iwd ask me them
when I'm trying to connect.

Then I have this error: EAP negotiation stopped after the Identity
exchange, this can happen when the EAP-Identity value is not what the
authenticator expects

You can find complete logs here: http://ix.io/4wvX

Could you help me to understand what's going on ? My first intution is I
have a dubious typo in the 8021x file but I'm unable to find it.

Thanks for your help in advance.

* Re: Unable to connect to a EAP-PEAP network
@ 2023-05-23 13:17 ` James Prestwood
From: James Prestwood @ 2023-05-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Coste, iwd

Hi Florian,

On 5/23/23 5:50 AM, Florian Coste wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to setup a wireless connection to a EAP-PEAP network. My
> company gave me this picture as the only documentation available, so I'm
> trying to replicate this NetworkManager GUI setting that you can find
> here: https://i.imgur.com/KB38bDr.png
>
> Basically, it should be:
> * Authentication EAP-PEAP
> * No certificate
> * Inner authentication: MSCAPV2
>
> The SSID of the network I'm trying to connect is called "Company
> France", so I have a file located at "/var/lib/iwd/Company
> France.8021x". There is a space in the SSID but I belive it should not
> cause any issue as soon as the file name and the SSID is matching.
>
> Here's the .8021x config file I'm using:
> https://iwd.wiki.kernel.org/networkconfigurationsettings#eap-peap_with_tunneled_eap-mschapv2
>
> In case I made a mistake by copying/pasting the config, I've pushing
> what I'm using here: http://ix.io/4ww1
>
> I'm launching iwd in debug mode and I see two issues I'm unable to
> understand.
>
> First, when I'm writing the file, I have the following error: "Error
> the log doesn't explain why the file couldn't be loaded. Here's the full
> log: http://ix.io/4wvU

If you're able to start a connection below the file must be ok now?

> Second issue I have is when I'm trying to connect to this SSID. In the
> config file, I don't have username and password set, so iwd ask me them
> when I'm trying to connect.
>
> Then I have this error: EAP negotiation stopped after the Identity
> exchange, this can happen when the EAP-Identity value is not what the
> authenticator expects

Did you try uncommenting/setting the EAP-Identity? In the past other
users have noticed that some RADIUS servers require this to be set.

Thanks,
James