iwd.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: James Prestwood <prestwoj@gmail.com>
To: Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com>,
	Alagu Sankar <alagusankar@gmail.com>,
	iwd@lists.linux.dev
Subject: Re: 40MHz Bandwidth in AP mode
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 09:56:11 -0700	[thread overview]

On Mon, 2023-03-13 at 10:29 -0500, Denis Kenzior wrote:
> Hi Alagu,
>
> On 3/13/23 05:07, Alagu Sankar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are testing the iwd-2.3 version in AP mode for one of our
> > requirements.  When trying to configure the AP mode in Channel 36, it
> > was always selecting 20MHz.  The band_freq_to_ht_chandef() function
> > is
> > supposed to select the best bandwidth. As we see, channel 36 is
> > configured as 40Mhz capable (operating_class 116).  Debugging this
> > further, we see that 40MHz spacing is rejected due to the following
> > condition
> > if (info->flags & PRIMARY_CHANNEL_UPPER && attr->no_ht40_plus)
> >      continue;
> > if (info->flags & PRIMARY_CHANNEL_LOWER && attr->no_ht40_minus)
> >      continue;
> > Channel 36 is configured as PRIMARY_CHANNEL_LOWER and the NL80211
> > attribute is indicating no_ht40_minus for this, but as per the
>
> So if NL80211 reports no_ht40_minus, we can't use this channel for
> 40HT:
>
> * @NL80211_FREQUENCY_ATTR_NO_HT40_MINUS: HT40- isn't possible with this
>   *      channel as the control channel
>
> > condition above, this is skipped. The check above seems incorrect.
>
> Why do you say that?
>
> Is the currently set regdom somehow restricting HT40 operation?  Does
> setting
> the regdom country help?  Perhaps via [General].Country?  See man 5
> iwd.config.
>
> > Can you please let me know if 40MHz bandwidth is tested on AP mode?
> >

> Yes, but things can always be tested better.  Our AP support is still
> quite
> experimental.

Yes, AP mode certainly could use more testing but the adapters I have
tested on have worked with 40MHz.

As Denis said just because the operating class allows 40Mhz doesn't
mean your wifi hardware or country allow that operation.

To tell 100% in your case you'd need to get an iwmon log of IWD
starting up. This will get a full log of any channel restrictions, more
info here: https://iwd.wiki.kernel.org/debugging

Thanks,
James