kernel-hardening.lists.openwall.com archive mirror
* Hello Kernel Hardening
@ 2019-07-31  6:52 Rick Mark
From: Rick Mark @ 2019-07-31  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-hardening

Per the instructions in the get involved I'm here saying hello.

My name is Rick Mark, currently a security engineer at Dropbox in SF.

I've been toying around with various things I've found in the wild
over the years and recently put together this CC Attribution paper
'Security Critical Kernel Object Confidentiality and Integrity'
(https://dbx.link/sckoci).

I've been playing with a reference implementation and filling out
the paper as I go, so I'm here to add a new area of defense to the
Linux kernel.  If you find the work interesting, I'm happy to have
people sherpa me though the kernel contribution process, help with
implementing the reference or production version or even just
co-authors to help with the paper.

Best

* Re: Hello Kernel Hardening
@ 2019-07-31  9:18 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-07-31  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Mark; +Cc: kernel-hardening

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 06:52:04AM +0000, Rick Mark wrote:
> Per the instructions in the get involved I'm here saying hello.
>
> My name is Rick Mark, currently a security engineer at Dropbox in SF.
>
> I've been toying around with various things I've found in the wild
> over the years and recently put together this CC Attribution paper
> 'Security Critical Kernel Object Confidentiality and Integrity'
> (https://dbx.link/sckoci).

Link needs permissions to view it :(

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Hello Kernel Hardening
@ 2019-07-31 19:55   ` Kees Cook
From: Kees Cook @ 2019-07-31 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Rick Mark, kernel-hardening

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 11:18:18AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 06:52:04AM +0000, Rick Mark wrote:
> > Per the instructions in the get involved I'm here saying hello.
> >
> > My name is Rick Mark, currently a security engineer at Dropbox in SF.

Hi Rick! Thanks for joining in the fun. :)

> > I've been toying around with various things I've found in the wild
> > over the years and recently put together this CC Attribution paper
> > 'Security Critical Kernel Object Confidentiality and Integrity'
> > (https://dbx.link/sckoci).
>
> Link needs permissions to view it :(

Heh, same for me. Let us know when we can view it...

--
Kees Cook

* Re: Hello Kernel Hardening
@ 2019-07-31 20:33   ` Rick Mark
From: Rick Mark @ 2019-07-31 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernel-hardening

Sorry, didn’t realize the Dropbox link shortener required login.  Full link:

https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Security-Critical-Kernel-Object-Confidentiality-and-Integrity-akFs9yNQ8YxLKP3BEaHZ8

Sent from my iPad

(https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdbx.link%2Fsckoci&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0c28197df0bb4ec190cc08d7159808da%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637001615036036177&amp;sdata=wmQJHRL9tNwFVden9P2TrrySSQX%2F4Ukd3eKnYfTCUTM%3D&amp;reserved=0).

@ 2019-08-01  5:54     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-08-01  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Mark; +Cc: kernel-hardening

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 08:33:59PM +0000, Rick Mark wrote:
> Sorry, didn’t realize the Dropbox link shortener required login.  Full link:
>

> https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Security-Critical-Kernel-Object-Confidentiality-and-Integrity-akFs9yNQ8YxLKP3BEaHZ8

That works better, thanks!

As always, why not knock up a working prototype of your idea first and
post it?  That's how we work with kernel development.  Lots of people
have random ideas, but to see if they actually work you need a working
patch.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Hello Kernel Hardening
@ 2019-08-01 20:00       ` Rick Mark
From: Rick Mark @ 2019-08-01 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernel-hardening, keescook

Awesome,

Thanks Greg for the advice and welcome.

I'm already starting to put together one with Linaro / OP-TEE cross compiled for QEMU ARMv8.  I'll send it back out when it's working / not shameful enough to actually `git push` to a fork.

As an aside for the rest of the mailing list, hope to see you all at BSides/DEFCON/QueerCon in a week.