Kernel-hardening archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>
To: Kassad <aashad940@gmail.com>
Cc: kernel-hardening@lists.openwall.com, keescook@chromium.org
Subject: Re: Contributing to KSPP newbie
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 11:29:13 +0000

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:39:11PM -0500, Kassad wrote:
> Hey Kees,
>
> I'm 3rd university student interested in learning more about the linux kernel.
> I'm came across this subsystem, since it aligns with my interest in security.
> Do you think as a newbie this task https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/11 will
> be a good starting point?

I think this specific task (Disable arm32 kuser helpers) has already
been done, and the ticket is stale.

On arm CONFIG_KUSER_HELPERS can be disabled on kernels that don't need
to run on HW prior to ARMv6. See commit:

  f6f91b0d9fd971c6 ("ARM: allow kuser helpers to be removed from the vector page")

On arm64, CONFIG_KUSER_HELPERS can be disabled on any kernel. See
commit:

  1b3cf2c2a3f42b ("arm64: compat: Add KUSER_HELPERS config option")

Thanks,
Mark.