Kernel-hardening archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Kees Cook <keescook@chromium.org>
To: Kassad <aashad940@gmail.com>
Cc: Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com>, kernel-hardening@lists.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contributing to KSPP newbie
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:11:36 -0800

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:32:17PM -0500, Kassad wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 6:29 AM Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@arm.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 11:39:11PM -0500, Kassad wrote:
> > > Hey Kees,
> > >
> > > I'm 3rd university student interested in learning more about the linux kernel.
> > > I'm came across this subsystem, since it aligns with my interest in security.

Hi! Welcome to the list. :)

> > > Do you think as a newbie this task
> > https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues/11 will
> > > be a good starting point?
> >
> > I think this specific task (Disable arm32 kuser helpers) has already
> > been done, and the ticket is stale.
>
> This might be a bit to vague but is there any task that is beginner
> friendly? I did have a look at todo list and most of them look quite
> daunting.

I tried marking some bugs with "good first issue", but it looks like
people are already chipping away at things:
https://github.com/KSPP/linux/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22good+first+issue%22

I haven't checked on this thread of discussion recently:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CANhBUQ3V2A-TBVizVh+eMLSi5Gzw5sMBY7C-0a8=-z15qyQ75w@mail.gmail.com/
There might be some work in there still to replace odd uses of
strncmp()?

--
Kees Cook