kernel-janitors.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Marion & Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jaillet@wanadoo.fr>
To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>, kernel-janitors@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: new TODO list item
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 07:31:14 +0200	[thread overview]

  Le 21/04/2020 à 10:12, Christoph Hellwig a écrit :
 > Hi Janitors,
 >
 > if someone feels like helping with a fairly trivial legacy API, the
 > wrappers in include/linux/pci-dma-compat.h should go away.  This is
 > mostly trivially scriptable, except for dma_alloc_coherent, where
 > the GFP_ATOMIC passed by pci_alloc_consistent should usually be replaced
 > with GFP_KERNEL when not calling from an atomic context.

  Hi,
  just a small update on the work on progress:

  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.8/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 88 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.9/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 62 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.10-rc1/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 32 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.11-rc1/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 20 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.12-rc1/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 12 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.13-rc1/A/ident/pci_alloc_consistent
      --> 6 files (4 in drivers/message/fusion)

  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.8/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 26 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.9/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 19 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.10-rc1/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 11 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.11-rc1/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 4 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.12-rc1/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 3 files
  https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.13-rc1/A/ident/pci_zalloc_consistent
      --> 1 file

So, I hope that this job will be finished for the next -rc.

However, any help for 'drivers/message/fusion' would be appreciated.

My strategy to check all callers to be sure that GFP_KERNEL or
GFP_ATOMIC is fine doesn't work well here.
Someone with a more global view of this (huge) driver would help a lot.

Also, at the beginning, I planned only to make the
pci_[z]alloc_consistent part. So now that is it mostly done, if anyone
feel like looking at the other conversions, it should be only some
mechanical stuff.

CJ