kernel-janitors.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Documentation: Coccinelle: Checking information aroun =?UTF-8?B?ZCB0aGUgbWFrZSBwYXJh
@ 2020-07-03 19:21 Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2020-07-03 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-doc, Coccinelle
  Cc: kernel-janitors, LKML, Jonathan Corbet, Julia Lawall,
	Gilles Muller, Masahiro Yamada, Matthew Wilcox, Michal Marek,
	Nicolas Palix, Randy Dunlap

Hello,

I have taken another look also at places from two information sources.

A)
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Makefile?id=cdd3bb54332f82295ed90cd0c09c78cd0c0ee822#n201

“…
# Use 'make C=1' to enable checking of only re-compiled files.
# Use 'make C=2' to enable checking of *all* source files, regardless
# of whether they are re-compiled or not.
…”

B)
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/dev-tools/coccinelle.rst?id=cdd3bb54332f82295ed90cd0c09c78cd0c0ee822#n182

“…
To check only newly edited code, use the value 2 for the C flag, i.e.::
…”

How good do these description variants fit together?

Regards,
Markus

* Re: kbuild: Improve descriptions for the make parameter “C”
@ 2020-07-07 14:16 ` Markus Elfring
From: Markus Elfring @ 2020-07-07 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-doc, linux-kbuild
  Cc: Coccinelle, kernel-janitors, LKML, Jonathan Corbet, Julia Lawall,
	Gilles Muller, Masahiro Yamada, Matthew Wilcox, Michal Marek,
	Nicolas Palix, Randy Dunlap

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Makefile?id=cdd3bb54332f82295ed90cd0c09c78cd0c0ee822#n201
>
> “…
> # Use 'make C=1' to enable checking of only re-compiled files.
> # Use 'make C=2' to enable checking of *all* source files, regardless
> # of whether they are re-compiled or not.
> …”

I got the impression that source files would be checked according to
such build parameters before a corresponding compilation try.
How do you think about to adjust descriptions which were added with
the commit 1c7bafe7206d928eaccbcbd08d868733e0fb7054 ("kbuild: clarify
"make C=" build option")?
https://lkml.org/lkml/2006/9/24/176
https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/65119/
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/115913270694-git-send-email-sam@ravnborg.org/