On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 7:16 AM Frank Rowand wrote: > > On 3/17/22 03:42, David Gow wrote: > > On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:26 AM wrote: > >> > >> From: Frank Rowand > >> > >> An August 2021 RFC patch [1] to create the KTAP Specification resulted in > >> some discussion of possible items to add to the specification. > >> The conversation ended without completing the document. > >> > >> Progress resumed with a December 2021 RFC patch [2] to add a KTAP > >> Specification file (Version 1) to the Linux kernel. Many of the > >> suggestions from the August 2021 discussion were not included in > >> Version 1. This patch series is intended to revisit some of the > >> suggestions from the August 2021 discussion. > > > > Thanks for kicking this off again. There were definitely a lot of good > > ideas in those threads which we haven't got to yet. > > > > I think there is an interesting line to walk between keeping KTAP > > sufficiently "TAP-like" (particularly w/r/t being able to reuse > > existing TAP parsers), and actually adding features, but I don't > > recall seeing many such issues in the previous threads. > > > >> > >> Patch 1 changes the Specification version to "2-rc" to indicate > >> that following patches are not yet accepted into a final version 2. > > > > I'm okay with this, though I'd want us to be a little careful with the > > timing so we don't end up with, for example, 5.18 having a KTAP spec > > called 2-rc which is functionally indistinguishable from v1. > > I finally have some time to return to this. > > I could host a branch on my kernel.org "frowand" linux kernel. When > agreement is reached on a patch on this mail list, I would add it > to the branch. When the discussion determines that it is time to > release a version 2 of the specification I would add one more commit > that only updates the version. > > Does that sound like a good way to proceed? > Yeah: that sounds good to me. -- David