kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* when is pci_dev->resource values are filled?
@ 2022-05-20  1:49 Chan Kim
From: Chan Kim @ 2022-05-20  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, all

When initializing a PCI device, during the pci_driver's probe function,
pci_request_region is called.
Inside the pci_request_region, it is just calling request_region with the
values in pci_dev->resource[bar].start and end.
But when is this pci->dev->resource values filled? Is it done by the BIOS(or
UEFI) before linux boots?
Probably not because this pci_dev struct is from linux and should be filled
by linux code and I couldn't find where it's done.

Chan Kim

* RE: when is pci_dev->resource values are filled?
@ 2022-05-23  2:32 Chan Kim
From: Chan Kim @ 2022-05-23  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

It looks like these values in pci_dev.resources are filled in pci_read_bases
function which is called in pci_setup_device function.
So linux is reading the values set by the BIOS and setting them in its
pci_dev struct. And the devices's driver is called after that.

Chan Kim