Kernel Newbies Archive on lore.kernel.org
 help / color / Atom feed
* What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
@ 2020-09-29 10:26 Thomas Schmitt
  2020-09-29 10:34 ` Greg KH
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Schmitt @ 2020-09-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

i sent my first patch set three weeks ago. See:
  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/20200908120207.5014-1-scdbackup@gmx.net/T/#u

It was made with
  git format-patch
and sent by
  git send-email
to the addresses which were proposed here. In linux-scsi it showed up
after a day.

Then i followed the advise in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
  "Wait for a minimum of
   one week before resubmitting or pinging reviewers - possibly longer"

Still no reply yet. Neither to my mail address nor visible in the thread
display of lore.kernel.org.

Could some merciful person have a look at my patch set and point me to
obvious reasons why it does not get considered ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If no obvious shortcomming disqualifies my patches, what to do next ?

- Ping everybody ?

- Repost ?

- Post one of the patch sets which i made during my time of patience ?
  I have
  - 3 bug fixes for cdrom+sr
  - 1 augmentation of cdrom+sr for multi-session DVD and BD media
  - 1 wish for a new ioctl CDROM_SIMUL_CHANGE in cdrom+sr
  - 2 bug fixes for isofs


Have a nice day :)

Thomas


_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
  2020-09-29 10:26 What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ? Thomas Schmitt
@ 2020-09-29 10:34 ` Greg KH
  2020-09-29 12:07   ` Thomas Schmitt
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Greg KH @ 2020-09-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schmitt; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 12:26:20PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> i sent my first patch set three weeks ago. See:
>   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/20200908120207.5014-1-scdbackup@gmx.net/T/#u
> 
> It was made with
>   git format-patch
> and sent by
>   git send-email
> to the addresses which were proposed here. In linux-scsi it showed up
> after a day.
> 
> Then i followed the advise in Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
>   "Wait for a minimum of
>    one week before resubmitting or pinging reviewers - possibly longer"
> 
> Still no reply yet. Neither to my mail address nor visible in the thread
> display of lore.kernel.org.
> 
> Could some merciful person have a look at my patch set and point me to
> obvious reasons why it does not get considered ?
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> If no obvious shortcomming disqualifies my patches, what to do next ?
> 
> - Ping everybody ?
> 
> - Repost ?

repost it and don't worry about it, maintainers get behind.

Also, I think the scsi list wants developers to help review other
patches, right?  Why not help out with that while you wait for your
patches to be reviewed?

thanks,

greg k-h

_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ?
  2020-09-29 10:34 ` Greg KH
@ 2020-09-29 12:07   ` Thomas Schmitt
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Thomas Schmitt @ 2020-09-29 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies; +Cc: greg

Hi,

Greg KH wrote:
> repost it and don't worry about it, maintainers get behind.

Will do.


> Also, I think the scsi list wants developers to help review other
> patches, right?  Why not help out with that while you wait for your
> patches to be reviewed?

My SCSI knowledge is concentrated on optical drives, which i am used to
operate from userland via ioctl(SG_IO). So if it's not about cdrom or sr
(or isofs), i am not qualified to have an own opinion.

I saw no patch sets which would deal with my topics, other than the very
broad one by Christoph Hellwig which by two patches affects sr:
  https://lore.kernel.org/linux-scsi/b5e51c24-b9a6-979f-8fe0-f762f113bba3@kernel.dk/T/#t

I studied it, but the only thought it gave me was that my wished new ioctl
had to become more independent of the entrails of general block device
handling. (Now it is much leaner and less needy of justifications that it
is indeed harmless.)

Hm. Jens Axboe writes "Applied". Maybe i can learn to which repo and
rebase my patch for that one ...


Have a nice day :)

Thomas


_______________________________________________
Kernelnewbies mailing list
Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/mailman/listinfo/kernelnewbies

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2020-09-29 10:26 What to do when a patch set gets no reply for 3 weeks ? Thomas Schmitt
2020-09-29 10:34 ` Greg KH
2020-09-29 12:07   ` Thomas Schmitt

Kernel Newbies Archive on lore.kernel.org

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies/0 kernelnewbies/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 kernelnewbies kernelnewbies/ https://lore.kernel.org/kernelnewbies \
		kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
	public-inbox-index kernelnewbies

Example config snippet for mirrors

Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://nntp.lore.kernel.org/org.kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git