On 10/07/2020 06:48, CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ wrote: > Hi guys, there is something I want to know, in the Linux kernel mailing > list some developers refer to URLs like these tree: > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master. > > I doubt that in my learning about git I have not seen any source code > called tree > so I want to know if a kernel tree is a branch? very thanks :) Hi, In the way the linux kernel is developed every "branch" is a own repo. Here branches are own repos like "net" , "net-next" or "alsa" with own maintainers and own mailing list. Think of them like different subdivisions in a company (also sometimes called "branch"). In most cases these "branches" are own repos, not "git branches". I know it's a bit confusing at first Cheers, -- Richard