kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Faster, incremental depmod when adding modules?
@ 2022-08-21 18:46 Ian Pilcher
From: Ian Pilcher @ 2022-08-21 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-modules

When installing 1 or more out-of-tree modules within
/lib/modules/$UNAME, is it possible to run depmod in an incremental
fashion - adding symbols from the new modules to modules.dep[.bin]
without re-scanning all of the other modules from that kernel version?

I've tried specifying the new module files, but that seems to create a
completely new modules.dep containing *only* the symbols from the new
modules (which obviously isn't very useful).

* Re: Faster, incremental depmod when adding modules?
@ 2022-10-13 15:40 ` jim.cromie
From: jim.cromie @ 2022-10-13 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Pilcher; +Cc: linux-modules, kernelnewbies

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 12:46 PM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> wrote:

> When installing 1 or more out-of-tree modules within
> /lib/modules/$UNAME, is it possible to run depmod in an incremental
> fashion - adding symbols from the new modules to modules.dep[.bin]
> without re-scanning all of the other modules from that kernel version?
>
> I've tried specifying the new module files, but that seems to create a
> completely new modules.dep containing *only* the symbols from the new
> modules (which obviously isn't very useful).

OPTIONS
       -a, --all
           Probe all modules. This option is enabled by default if no
file names are given in the command-line.

       -A, --quick
           This option scans to see if any modules are newer than the
modules.dep file before any work is done: if not, it silently exits
rather than regenerating the files.

2nd looks like what u want