On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 17:08:30 +0200, Luca Ceresoli said: > Yes, the read/write helpers are nicely isolated. However this sits in a > vendor kernel that tends to change a lot from one release to another, so I admit having a hard time wrapping my head around "vendor kernel that changes a lot from one release to another", unless you mean something like the RedHat Enterprise releases that updates every 2 years, and at that point you get hit with a jump of 8 or 10 kernel releases. And of course, the right answer is to fix up the driver and upstream it, so that in 2022 when your vendor does a new release, the updated driver will already be there waiting for you. And don't worry about having to do patches to update the driver to a new kernel release because APIs change - that's only a problem for out-of-tree drivers. If it's in-tree, the person making the API change is supposed to fix your driver for you.