 help / Atom feed
* make modules_install install is failing
@ 2019-02-05  6:00 Bharath Vedartham
From: Bharath Vedartham @ 2019-02-05  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi all,

I am unable to execute make modules_install install.
I get the following error:

ln: target 'linux-00096-gd1aa1a8/source' is not a directory
Makefile:1281: recipe for target '_modinst_' failed
make[1]: *** [_modinst_] Error 1
Makefile:296: recipe for target '__build_one_by_one' failed
make: *** [__build_one_by_one] Error 2

I made a change to a driver and did not commit the changes. I then built the kernel and two weird looking files appeared in my root directory:

linux-00095-g94832d9-dirty
linux-00096-gd1aa1a8

Since then , I have commited my changes and made the kernel again. The
dirs still exist. I have tried manually removing them but they reappear
 whenever I make the kernel again.

 I am running the version: 5.0.0-rc2+

I am not able to make the kernel modules because of this. Is this a
common problem? Any answers?

Thank you

* Re: make modules_install install is failing
@ 2019-03-05  1:13 ` Tobin C. Harding
From: Tobin C. Harding @ 2019-03-05  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bharath Vedartham; +Cc: linux-kernel, kernelnewbies

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:30:53AM +0530, Bharath Vedartham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am unable to execute make modules_install install.
> I get the following error:

Could you show the complete commands you are trying please

thanks,
Tobin.