* KernelProjects still alive?
@ 2019-08-22 14:59 Ivan D
From: Ivan D @ 2019-08-22 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I'd like to do some kernel development (driver, non-trivial feature,
etc.). I'm fairly experienced overall and wrote proprietary kernel
modules at my job, so not interested in newbie/janitor stuff.
KernelProjects looked like a perfect place for this, but it seems long
abandoned.

Is there a substitute, or may be someone can pinpoint me at something
to work on in particular? Could be support for old but still
possible-to-buy hardware, or anything non-trivial really. I've worked
mostly with ARM if that matters, including fairly low level things.

Thanks,
Ivan

* Re: KernelProjects still alive?
@ 2019-08-22 16:27 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2019-08-22 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan D; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 05:59:45PM +0300, Ivan D wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to do some kernel development (driver, non-trivial feature,
> etc.). I'm fairly experienced overall and wrote proprietary kernel
> modules at my job, so not interested in newbie/janitor stuff.
> KernelProjects looked like a perfect place for this, but it seems long
> abandoned.
>
> Is there a substitute, or may be someone can pinpoint me at something
> to work on in particular? Could be support for old but still
> possible-to-buy hardware, or anything non-trivial really. I've worked
> mostly with ARM if that matters, including fairly low level things.

Work on drivers/staging/*/TODO to get one of those drivers out of
staging into the "real" part of the kernel.  That's usually a
non-trivial task and for some of them (wifi drivers) you can find the
device on ebay to be able to test your changes.

good luck!

greg k-h