From: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
To: "Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판)" <irfan@dke.khu.ac.kr>
Cc: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>,
	kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: Kernel development tools (was Re: Software Prefetching using Machine learning)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 08:40:14 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 03:21:46PM +0900, Irfan Ullah (울라 이르판) wrote:
> Thank you.
> You are absolutely right. As a freshman in the kernel development, and
> having experience in high level languages, things look complicated :(.
> Can you please suggest me what is the efficient and easy way to exchange
> data between kernel space and user space. I want the way in which the
> kernel should initiate the communication; the kernel daemon first sends the
> data to the user space daemon, and the user space daemon (waiting and
> listening to the kernel space daemon) receives and processes the data, and
> then sends feedback. There are many tools i.e., netlink
> (connectionless, asynchronous), ioctl, and /proc available.
> Which tool,  and library you suggest for performing the task? and How it
> could be done?
> I would be grateful if you could provide me with some links/examples/blogs.

I think you already have the list above (netlink, ioctl, proc), so just
start with those and see how it goes.

Note, the kernel can not "send userspace something and wait for it to
send a response" and expect to keep on working, as the kernel can never
wait for userspace to do something as that would cause it to stop.

Best of luck!

greg k-h