kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-06 11:09 c4droid
From: c4droid @ 2020-01-06 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, I'm learning how to hacking the Linux kernel follow a tutorial from
web, when I download the Linux kernel 5.4.8 source code and extract it
to run make mrproper, the make report: Documentation/Kbuild: Is a
directory. Stop. I checked Documentation directory, only have a
directory name kbuild, not directory name Kbuild. How can I clean this
error.

* Re: Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-06 11:38 ` Martin Christian
From: Martin Christian @ 2020-01-06 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1191 bytes --]

Am 06.01.20 um 12:09 schrieb c4droid:
> Hi, I'm learning how to hacking the Linux kernel follow a tutorial from
> web, when I download the Linux kernel 5.4.8 source code and extract it
> to run make mrproper, the make report: Documentation/Kbuild: Is a
> directory. Stop. I checked Documentation directory, only have a
> directory name kbuild, not directory name Kbuild. How can I clean this
> error.

My guess would be, you are running your build on a filesystem which is
case insensitive (eg. FAT)

Martin

--
Dipl.-Inf. Martin Christian
Senior Berater Entwicklung Hardware

Tel.: +49 201 5454-3612, Fax +49 201 5454-1323
E-Mail: martin.christian@secunet.com
Ammonstraße 74, 01067 Dresden
www.secunet.com

secunet Security Networks AG
Sitz: Kurfürstenstraße 58, 45138 Essen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Essen
HRB 13615
Vorstand: Axel Deininger (Vors.), Torsten Henn, Dr. Kai Martius,
          Thomas Pleines
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Ralf Wintergerst

* Re: Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-06 12:22   ` c4droid
From: c4droid @ 2020-01-06 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

My environment is MacOS Catalina, I installed docker for building
kernel. The docker container using -v options to mapping local path to
docker container.
Martin Christian writes:

> Am 06.01.20 um 12:09 schrieb c4droid:
>> Hi, I'm learning how to hacking the Linux kernel follow a tutorial from
>> web, when I download the Linux kernel 5.4.8 source code and extract it
>> to run make mrproper, the make report: Documentation/Kbuild: Is a
>> directory. Stop. I checked Documentation directory, only have a
>> directory name kbuild, not directory name Kbuild. How can I clean this
>> error.
>
> My guess would be, you are running your build on a filesystem which is
> case insensitive (eg. FAT)
>
> Martin

* Re: Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-06 13:08     ` Hayward, Shaun
From: Hayward, Shaun @ 2020-01-06 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c4droid; +Cc: kernelnewbies

> On Jan 6, 2020, at 7:24 AM, c4droid <c4droid@foxmail.com> wrote:
>
> My environment is MacOS Catalina, I installed docker for building
> kernel. The docker container using -v options to mapping local path to
> docker container.

By default MacOS uses a case insensitive file system. Even in Docker, in order to compile Linux you’ll need to create a new case sensitive partition (eg SparseImage, adding a new volume to your disk’s APFS container, or some other Docker magic, etc)

Shaun

* Re: Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-07  0:31       ` c4droid
From: c4droid @ 2020-01-07  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hayward, Shaun; +Cc: c4droid, kernelnewbies

Even I extract source from docker container, the Documentation directory
just exist kbuild, not Kbuild.
And, in the extracted source tree, the top-level Kbuild file named
Kbuild not kbuild, only Documentation/kbuild is named
Documentation/kbuild. When I run make mrproper, make only report
_clean_Documentation target error, my linux kernel source code archive
is download from mirror.

Hayward, Shaun writes:

>> On Jan 6, 2020, at 7:24 AM, c4droid <c4droid@foxmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My environment is MacOS Catalina, I installed docker for building
>> kernel. The docker container using -v options to mapping local path to
>> docker container.
>
> By default MacOS uses a case insensitive file system. Even in Docker, in order to compile Linux you’ll need to create a new case sensitive partition (eg SparseImage, adding a new volume to your disk’s APFS container, or some other Docker magic, etc)
>
> Shaun

* Re: Making kernel problem
@ 2020-01-07  7:11         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-01-07  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c4droid; +Cc: Hayward, Shaun, kernelnewbies

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 08:31:36AM +0800, c4droid wrote:
> Even I extract source from docker container, the Documentation directory
> just exist kbuild, not Kbuild.
> And, in the extracted source tree, the top-level Kbuild file named
> Kbuild not kbuild, only Documentation/kbuild is named
> Documentation/kbuild. When I run make mrproper, make only report
> _clean_Documentation target error, my linux kernel source code archive
> is download from mirror.

Please use a Linux system to build the Linux kernel on for your first
attempt.  Trying to get it to build on a non-Linux system is not always
a trivial exercise as you are finding out.

And again, the problem is in your filesystem type you are building on,
it is case-insensitive.  Fixing that is the problem here, it is not a
Linux kernel specific thing.

good luck!

greg k-h