kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* __STDC_VERSION__ : What C dialect c89, c99,gnu90 kernel compiies
@ 2020-05-20  7:30 Lev R. Oshvang .
From: Lev R. Oshvang . @ 2020-05-20  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am building out of tree kernel module.

I am trying to include user-space lib into kernel module

This  API gives me the following warning :

"__STDC_VERSION__" is not defined, evaluates to 0

But continues and resulted module works,

I see from https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Standard-Predefined-Macros.html
that _STDC_VERSION__ is a built-in gcc macro, so I think that evenh
kernel compilation should be able to see it.

Please comment
Lev.

* Re: __STDC_VERSION__ : What C dialect c89, c99,gnu90 kernel compiies
@ 2020-05-20  8:44 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-05-20  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lev R. Oshvang .; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:30:53AM +0300, Lev R. Oshvang . wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am building out of tree kernel module.

Did you read the kernel documentation for how to do this?

> I am trying to include user-space lib into kernel module

You can't do this, sorry, it's not allowed at all, unless you build the
code for that library into your kernel module directly.

What problem are you trying to solve with this?

> This  API gives me the following warning :
>
> "__STDC_VERSION__" is not defined, evaluates to 0
>
> But continues and resulted module works,
>
> I see from https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Standard-Predefined-Macros.html
> that _STDC_VERSION__ is a built-in gcc macro, so I think that evenh
> kernel compilation should be able to see it.

There is no standard c library within the kernel, sorry.

greg k-h

* Re: __STDC_VERSION__ : What C dialect c89, c99,gnu90 kernel compiies
@ 2020-05-20 15:13   ` 67hz
From: 67hz @ 2020-05-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Lev R. Oshvang ., kernelnewbies

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 10:30:53AM +0300, Lev R. Oshvang . wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I am building out of tree kernel module.
>
> Did you read the kernel documentation for how to do this?
>
> > I am trying to include user-space lib into kernel module
>
> You can't do this, sorry, it's not allowed at all, unless you build the
> code for that library into your kernel module directly.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve with this?
>
> > This API gives me the following warning :
> > "STDC_VERSION" is not defined, evaluates to 0
> > But continues and resulted module works,
> > I see from https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Standard-Predefined-Macros.html
> > that STDC_VERSION_ is a built-in gcc macro, so I think that evenh
> > kernel compilation should be able to see it.
>
> There is no standard c library within the kernel, sorry.

If you are curious which symbols are in the kernel's scope, i.e., what functions are available to the kernel, check out /proc/kallsyms.