From: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
To: jaap aarts <jaap.aarts1@gmail.com>
Cc: kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Re: Where to place my driver
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 08:13:03 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:26:33PM +0200, jaap aarts wrote:
> Hello kernel newbies,
>
> I am currently writing a driver for asetek 6th gen CPU coolers.
> Communication to these coolers goes via USB, but 3/4 (but not all!!)
> metrics are hwmon metrics.
> There is a case for either USB or hwmon but I don't know where I am
> supposed to put my driver.
> There is also the 1/4, RGB controls, these obviously don't fit in
> hwmon, but I don't know where to put these kinds of controls in the
> filesystem.

So those tie into the led subsystem?

> If anyone could help me with these 2 choices I can start submitting my
> first code (I already have fan control working).

start with drivers/hwmon/ and if the developers there don't think that
it should be there, let them tell you where to put it :)

Also, when submitting the driver, as it talks USB, be sure to cc: the
linux-usb@vger.kernel.org mailing list to get those driver author's
review.

good luck!

greg k-h