kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Re: new TODO list item
       [not found]   ` <20200421112616.GA29634@infradead.org>
@ 2020-07-10 14:34     ` Suraj Upadhyay
From: Suraj Upadhyay @ 2020-07-10 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 04:26:16AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:53:25PM +0530, Suraj Upadhyay wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 10:12:57AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > > Hi Janitors,
> > >
> > > if someone feels like helping with a fairly trivial legacy API, the
> > > wrappers in include/linux/pci-dma-compat.h should go away.  This is
> > > mostly trivially scriptable, except for dma_alloc_coherent, where
> > > the GFP_ATOMIC passed by pci_alloc_consisteny should usually be replaced
> > > with GFP_KERNEL when not calling from an atomic context.
> >
> > Hii Christoph,
> > 	This is my first time posting to kernel-janitors. I would be glad to
> > help with this task but suggest me if I should get started with
> > something else.
>
> Sure, feel free to get started.  A coccinelle script to do the grunt
> work might be useful, though.

Hii Christoph,
	I nearly forgot about this, and now I would like to complete
this task.
However, even after two months I am still a newbie and there are a few
questions that I would like to ask :

1.	Multiple files will be affected by this change, who do you think
	I should send my patches to ??
2.	Should I send my patches as a patchset of multiple small patches
	chaging a particular API for e.g. sending all patches that change
	pci_map_single() to dma_map_single() in one file in the same patchset ??
3.	I literally have little idea on how to change the comments and
	docs which refer to these APIs.
4.	And what if a maintainer likes the previous APIs for simplicity
	and rejects the patches that try to change them ??

Thanks,

Suraj Upadhyay.

CCing Kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org