Kernel Newbies Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Re: Missing RUST_EXAMPLE option in linux-next
@ 2021-04-01  5:19 Manas
From: Manas @ 2021-04-01  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi, I am working on a device driver in rust in linux-next as an academic
project. I used the following command to create .config:

$ make LLVM=1 menuconfig

But, sometimes the RUST_EXAMPLE option is not visible in menuconfig
(under /Device Drivers/Character devices/). It seemingly happens at random
that this option disappears, despite having a working rust nightly environment
(and other dependencies).

Can someone point me to why is this happening?

Also, if this is not the right place for this query, please let me know.

Thank you
--
Manas
CSAM Undergraduate | 2022

* Re: Missing RUST_EXAMPLE option in linux-next
@ 2021-04-01  5:56 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-01  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manas; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 10:49:16AM +0530, Manas wrote:
> Hi, I am working on a device driver in rust in linux-next as an academic
> project. I used the following command to create .config:
>
> $ make LLVM=1 menuconfig
>
> But, sometimes the RUST_EXAMPLE option is not visible in menuconfig
> (under /Device Drivers/Character devices/). It seemingly happens at random
> that this option disappears, despite having a working rust nightly environment
> (and other dependencies).
>
> Can someone point me to why is this happening?

Try asking the developers who maintain the linux rust branch where this
code is coming from?  They are the best ones to help out with their
code.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Missing RUST_EXAMPLE option in linux-next
@ 2021-04-01  5:59   ` Manas
From: Manas @ 2021-04-01  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 07:56:40AM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2021 at 10:49:16AM +0530, Manas wrote:
> > Hi, I am working on a device driver in rust in linux-next as an academic
> > project. I used the following command to create .config:
> >
> > $ make LLVM=1 menuconfig
> >
> > But, sometimes the RUST_EXAMPLE option is not visible in menuconfig
> > (under /Device Drivers/Character devices/). It seemingly happens at random
> > that this option disappears, despite having a working rust nightly environment
> > (and other dependencies).
> >
> > Can someone point me to why is this happening?
>
> Try asking the developers who maintain the linux rust branch where this
> code is coming from?  They are the best ones to help out with their
> code.

Sure. Thanks for prompt reply!

--
Manas