kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-23 17:24 subham soni
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: subham soni @ 2014-02-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,
        I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a good
experience of the commands in Linux (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware). I
googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers. Now
which device driver should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting? For
developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life,
since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs
in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-23 18:19 ` Kuldeep Singh Dhaka
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kuldeep Singh Dhaka @ 2014-02-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 02/23/2014 10:54 PM, subham soni wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from?
developing you own Kernel. nice. i suggest you learn more about kernel
design and their role's. that will make you aware of how things work.
http://wiki.osdev.org/ (+ many more) will be your friends.
> I have a good experience of the commands in Linux
> (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware).
This would help you on your way. :)
> I googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers.
device drivers are for kernel's that are running.
if you want to make your own, you have to design a infrastructure for
drivers to place.
> Now which device driver should I code?
if you are thinking of starting from Linux source, give it a try :p.
/dev/null is an excellent example to start.
> Or should I master Shell Scripting?
depends on type of work, but i think basic things like Makefile,
compiling from shell, and doing echo work should be ok (at minimum).
> For developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery
> life, since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS)
> and 3.00 hrs in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?
all i can say is:
learn more about low power thingi'es so that you can re iterate on what
your asking.

Linux OS -> GNU/Linux OS   GNU userland utilities/applications with
Linux Kernel :)

summary:
     learn more about kernel design,
     how they work,
     decide hardware to bake on.
     read hardware document
     learn from others kernel
     VM will be handy. (qemu, ...)
     patience <--- important
     be ready for hiccup's

*Kuldeep Singh Dhaka*
+91-8791676237
Programmer, Open Source, Embedded System, Entrepreneur, System
Administrator, Animal Lover, Web Developer, Learner.
My GnuPG Public Key
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x23816C5609DC7E26>
Fork Me <http://github.com/kuldeepdhaka>
Bitcoins Accepted.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-23 23:35 ` John de la Garza
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John de la Garza @ 2014-02-23 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:54:31PM +0530, subham soni wrote:
> Hello,
>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from?

http://www.jamesmolloy.co.uk/tutorial_html/

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-24  1:13 ` freeman
From: freeman @ 2014-02-24  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
 2014-02-24 01:24, subham soni :
> Hello,
>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop
> my own kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a
> good experience of the commands in Linux
> (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware). I googled out and I came to know
> that I should start from Device Drivers. Now which device driver
> should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting? For developing a
> kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life, since most
> laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs in
> Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?

I read some books about how to DIY an OS . Of course it's simple and
crude, but it's a good start, I think.

Hidemi Kawai, Homemade Operating System Within 30 Days
Yuan Yu, Operating System From Scratch (I don't know if there is an
English edition. The project from thisbook is on GitHub:
https://github.com/yyu/osfs00)

    "
    <http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Operating-System-Chinese-Edition/dp/7115287961>There
    are many ways to learn OS, but I believe the best way is to learn by
    practice. There are many open source OS code, but the code bases are
    huge. You will get lost in the source code labyrinth.

    There are good books, /Operating System: Design and
    Implementation/ by A.S. Tanenbaum and A.S. Woodhull for example, but
    they don't teach you where to begin either.

    That's why you should come here. If Tanenbaum's book is a reference,
    my project series is a tutorial. Prof. Tanenbaum tells you what.
    I'll tell you how."
    <http://www.amazon.com/Homemade-Operating-System-Chinese-Edition/dp/7115287961>

Above are two funny books involving me into coding and learning about
OS. However, if you're serious, please just ignore :-P

All the best,
Freeman Zhang

@ 2014-02-24  4:36   ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2014-02-24  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 6:43 AM, freeman <freeman.zhang1992@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  2014-02-24 01:24, subham soni :
>
> Hello,
>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a good
> experience of the commands in Linux (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware). I
> googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers. Now
> which device driver should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting? For
> developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life,
> since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs
> in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?

First learn about how compilation is done. How the program is actually
executed. Learn about linker scripts, you'll need that black magic art
that you'll definitely going to need.

With this information you can at least understand the role BIOS play
and how bootloader comes into play.

Before your kernel coding starts i think you should at the very least
be able to replicate a dummy bootloader, just to motivate yourself :P.

Intel manuals (System programmer) would be your guide if you are doing
this for PC.

Last but not the least, test your code as a program first on PC. Make
functions that are generic and could work with the arguments you pass
to them. So with that said you can very easily create dynamic memory
management code and test it as a module, then integrate it with
kernel. You must always use parameters and don't assume anything. As
your each module gets ready then integrate it with your kernel. You'll
need to write some test programs as well so as to know that it
actually works.
Break it down into manageable pieces first before you start coding!.

There would be a lot of code required before you can just print Hello
World using your own printk or printf.

Some resources you can google are osdev wiki, lots of info but please
don't copy paste understand it first and then try to write by
yourself. You'll learn alot by doing yourself.

> I read some books about how to DIY an OS . Of course it's simple and crude,
> but it's a good start, I think.
>
> Hidemi Kawai, Homemade Operating System Within 30 Days
> Yuan Yu, Operating System From Scratch (I don't know if there is an English
> edition. The project from this book is on GitHub:
> https://github.com/yyu/osfs00)
>
> " There are many ways to learn OS, but I believe the best way is to learn by
> practice. There are many open source OS code, but the code bases are huge.
> You will get lost in the source code labyrinth.
>
> There are good books, Operating System: Design and Implementation by A.S.
> Tanenbaum and A.S. Woodhull for example, but they don't teach you where to
> begin either.
This is by far the best book if you are actually serious about it.
Definitely nobody will teach you how it's actually done but it'll
guide you the best. You'll have to answers on your own.

> That's why you should come here. If Tanenbaum's book is a reference, my
> project series is a tutorial. Prof. Tanenbaum tells you what. I'll tell you
> how."
>
> Above are two funny books involving me into coding and learning about OS.
> However, if you're serious, please just ignore :-P
>
> All the best,
> Freeman Zhang

    ---P.K.S
--
Pranay Srivastava

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-24  5:44     ` subham soni
From: subham soni @ 2014-02-24  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Should I directly dive into device drivers , I started referring Linux
Device Drivers 3 for kernel 2.x. But seriously couldn't understand a
thing. I dream is to have my own linux distro that surpasses all the
limitations of present distros.

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-24  5:49       ` Manish Katiyar
From: Manish Katiyar @ 2014-02-24  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM, subham soni <sonikernel1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I directly dive into device drivers , I started referring Linux
> Device Drivers 3 for kernel 2.x. But seriously couldn't understand a
> thing. I dream is to have my own linux distro that surpasses all the
> limitations of present distros.

How about starting with first listing out "all the limitations of
present distros" and how do you plan to solve them.

Thanks -
Manish

> [...]
>>> practice. There are many open source OS code, but the code bases are
>>> huge.
>>> You will get lost in the source code labyrinth.
>>>
>>> There are good books, Operating System: Design and Implementation by A.S.
>>> Tanenbaum and A.S. Woodhull for example, but they don't teach you where
>>> begin either.
>> This is by far the best book if you are actually serious about it.
>> Definitely nobody will teach you how it's actually done but it'll
>> guide you the best. You'll have to answers on your own.
>>

>>> That's why you should come here. If Tanenbaum's book is a reference, my
>>> project series is a tutorial. Prof. Tanenbaum tells you what. I'll tell
>>> you
>>> how."
>>>
>>> Above are two funny books involving me into coding and learning about OS.
>>> However, if you're serious, please just ignore :-P

Thanks -
Manish

* Kernel Development
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-02-24  6:08 ` priyaranjan
From: priyaranjan @ 2014-02-24  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM, subham soni <sonikernel1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a good
> experience of the commands in Linux (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware).

You can start with reading Linux kernel development by Robert Love.
Also look at minix3 microkernel and its feature. You need to understand the
various modules of OS before writing a one....

> googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers. Now
> which device driver should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting? For
> developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life,
> since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs
> in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?

I don't think drivers is the good place to start.

* Kernel Development
@ 2014-02-24  6:44   ` subham soni
From: subham soni @ 2014-02-24  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Which of the Linux Distros should I take into
consideration?Debian,Fedora,Gentoo,Slackware,openSUSE,etc.. there are
so many, which distros should I take into consideration, consider the
limitations and start working?Secondly, is the kernel (if the same
version is considered) same on two different distros? That is ,
distributions differ at the Kernel level as well?

@ 2014-02-24  9:45     ` Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar
From: Anuz Pratap Singh Tomar @ 2014-02-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 6:44 AM, subham soni <sonikernel1@gmail.com> wrote:
First and foremost do not top post on this mailing list.
Google about toppost and bottom post.

Which of the Linux Distros should I take into
> consideration?Debian,Fedora,Gentoo,Slackware,openSUSE,etc.. there are
> so many, which distros should I take into consideration,

It doesn't really matter.
All distros have same kernel running inside with some customization.
It is matter of choice
Debian and Fedora are very good but serious Distros for development.
You can choose either.

> consider the
> limitations and start working?

The limitations of distros are not necessarily the limitations of kernel.
Both are two different beast
Dig a bit more and read about how linux ecosystem works.
What does a distribution actually contains. What are the different binaries
etc.

> Secondly, is the kernel (if the same
> version is considered) same on two different distros? That is ,
> distributions differ at the Kernel level as well?

Yes and No.
Two distribution can have absolutely same kernel but with customizations
for various things like drivers etc.
You can get source for kernel and compile your own kernel for pretty much
any distribution.

I think you should read more on OS development
1. Robert Love's Linux kernel Development
2. Maurice J Bach: Design of Unix operating system
3. Richard Steven's Advanced programming in Unix Environment
4. Rob pike's Unix Programming environment
5. Operating system by Galvin and Silberschatz
6. Jim Turley's 80386 advanced programming techniques
7. Linux device drivers (goes without saying)
8. Understanding Linux Kernel (if you are upto it)

> On 2/24/14, priyaranjan <priyaranjan45678@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM, subham soni <sonikernel1@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my
> >> own
> >> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from? I have a good
> >> experience of the commands in Linux (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware).
> >
> > You can start with reading Linux kernel development by Robert Love.
> > Also look at minix3 microkernel and its feature. You need to understand
> the
> > various modules of OS before writing a one....

> >> googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers.
> >> Now
> >> which device driver should I code? Or should I master Shell Scripting?
> >> For
> >> developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life,
> >> since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00
> >> hrs
> >> in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?
> >>

> > I don't think drivers is the good place to start.

Thank you
Warm Regards
Anuz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Kernel Development
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-02-24 17:57 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2014-02-24 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:54:31 +0530, subham soni said:

>         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own
> kernel from scratch. From where should I start from?

A large supply of caffeine, you're going to be writing a *lot* of code.

For example, linux-0.01 was 100 source files totalling 11,283 or so lines of code.

For linux 0.96, that jumped to 200 files and 35,000+ lines of code.

And 0.99.15 was 175,000 or so lines.

So figure you're going to be about a quarter million lines of code before you
get to a usable self-hosting environment.
@ 2014-02-25  4:51   ` rakesh Bhaskar
From: rakesh Bhaskar @ 2014-02-25  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I would suggest you to choose a module(lets say, for example, memory
manager) and start understanding the internals of that module end to end
raise the questions/doubts, which I guess you will find while understanding
the code, here in this forum. Likewise there are different layers and
modules which you must understand theoretically as well programmatically.

This might help you to find the root cause of poor battery life, which may
or may not be because of kernel bug. In general kernel code is optimized
atleast the core platform is. you wont generally find unnecessary code
blocks that might increase cpu cycles or memory usage. My suggestion would
be that you start understanding the kernel code and find the code blocks
which you feel can be optimized and start from there.

PS: You will find heavily multithreaded and optimized code(took
several 1000 man hours over years to write), which may make you to lose
your intent. But it would be a good exercise for you to learn a industry
standard or even better code which is a must for writing any kernel level
modules. At the least it will improve your coding skills.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:54:31 +0530, subham soni said:
>
> >         I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my
> own
> > kernel from scratch. From where should I start from?
>
> A large supply of caffeine, you're going to be writing a *lot* of code.
>
> For example, linux-0.01 was 100 source files totalling 11,283 or so lines
> of code.
>
> For linux 0.96, that jumped to 200 files and 35,000+ lines of code.
>
> And 0.99.15 was 175,000 or so lines.
>
> So figure you're going to be about a quarter million lines of code before
> you
> get to a usable self-hosting environment.

G B Rakesh

@ 2020-03-29 12:27 Harsh chopra
From: Harsh chopra @ 2020-03-29 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies