kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>
To: Esme Xuan Lim <esmethedev@gmail.com>
Cc: "kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org" <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: Re: Is there documentation for what each script in linux/scripts does?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 18:35:25 -0400	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 983 bytes --]

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 19:56:23 -0000, Esme Xuan Lim said:
> I was wondering since there’s loads of useful stuff in there it seems, but
> there's little documented on what goodies there are or what they do

Most of them are used by the build process, and are named reasonably
self-descriptively, so between the name, comments in the script, and how
they are used by the Makefiles and other scripts are fairly easy to figure
out.  For the most part, they're well within the range of "If you know enough
about Linux to be poking around in the kernel source, you almost certainly
know enough to be able to figure it out on your own".

One that's not directly used in the build process, but still mind-bogglingly
useful if you're planning to write patches or post questions about specific
files is get_maintainer.pl.

If there's a specific script whose function or purpose stumps you even after
you've tried all the obvious stuff, let us know and we'll fill in the blanks.