 help / Atom feed
* a specific question...
       [not found] <9d7f9b8b02ac6b219403bb448a53a950@bilkent.edu.tr>
@ 2018-12-16 15:24 ` R. Engür Pişirici
From: R. Engür Pişirici @ 2018-12-16 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

  Hello All,

Before starting to ask my question, I would like to apologize about
asking a silly question.
Mostly, i always try to find answers by reading, searching, digging,
etc.
However, i really couldnt find a proper answer for my question.

My question is about l2tp/pptp drivers in kernel.
pptp driver is in /drivers/net. But, l2tp driver is in /net
I want to know why they reside in different paths? What did i miss?

Best Regards,

-engur

* Re: a specific question...
@ 2018-12-16 15:32   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2018-12-16 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R. Engür Pişirici; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018, R. Engür Piºirici wrote:

>  Hello All,
>
> Before starting to ask my question, I would like to apologize about
> asking a silly question. Mostly, i always try to find answers by
> reading, searching, digging, etc. However, i really couldnt find a
> proper answer for my question.
>
> My question is about l2tp/pptp drivers in kernel. pptp driver is in
> /drivers/net. But, l2tp driver is in /net I want to know why they
> reside in different paths? What did i miss?

  typically, what you find under /net is code for general networking
*protocols*, while drivers/net contains actual device drivers for
physical devices. sometimes, the split is not perfect.

rday

                  http://crashcourse.ca/dokuwiki

* Re: a specific question...
@ 2018-12-17  8:59   ` Ozgur
From: Ozgur @ 2018-12-17  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R. Engür Pişirici, kernelnewbies

16.12.2018, 19:25, "R. Engür Pişirici" <engur@bilkent.edu.tr>:
>   Hello All,

Hello

> Before starting to ask my question, I would like to apologize about
> asking a silly question.
> Mostly, i always try to find answers by reading, searching, digging,
> etc.
> However, i really couldnt find a proper answer for my question.
>
> My question is about l2tp/pptp drivers in kernel.
> pptp driver is in /drivers/net. But, l2tp driver is in /net
> I want to know why they reside in different paths? What did i miss?

Engur, l2tp is core and other net protocols is used with l2tp.
l2tp is an upper protocol of pptp.