From: WyoFlippa <wyoflippa@gmail.com>
To: kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Kernel drivers and IOCTLs
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 22:27:01 -0600

Hi,

I'm working on a driver that would verify a Linux or U-Boot image is
secure and I need to pass parameters such as the public key, starting
address, etc. I'd heard in talking to developers that IOCTLs are frowned
upon. I also found this article that seems to indicate that using sysfs
or proc is a better way to go.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8110

but then I see this article from 2013 which is more recent than the article.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/botching-up-ioctls.html

So are IOCTLs discouraged or not?

Thanks,

TW