* Are MSRs saved and restored on context switches?
       [not found] <fd19f8e8-750c-7cda-e46a-39ee7a221aa2@fiv.upv.es>
@ 2019-07-12 15:58 ` Josué Feliu
From: Josué Feliu @ 2019-07-12 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I was curious about whether a context switch in Linux saves and restores
the MSR registers of the tasks involved in the context switch. I
searched in the source code and could not find this functionality. I'm
not sure if all MSRs need or can be associated to tasks but I understand
that, for example, MSRs related to performance counters should be saved
and restored on context switches to correctly monitor events on a per
PID basis.

Thanks a lot,
Josué

only message in thread, back to index