kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Finding bugs/issues to work on
@ 2020-03-24 11:19 Suraj Upadhyay
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Suraj Upadhyay @ 2020-03-24 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hii newbies,
        I just started studying for linux-kernel development although I am
not completely new to open source technologies. I wanted to clarify my
doubts in the following things
1. Where can I find issues/tickets regarding linux-kernel, to work on ?
2. What's the best resource to get started on linux-kernel development ?
I started reading kernel-newbies guides, though.

Grateful for your time and responses,
Yours sincerely,
A Kernel-Newbie.

* Re: Finding bugs/issues to work on
@ 2020-03-24 11:27 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2020-03-24 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suraj Upadhyay; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, Suraj Upadhyay wrote:

> Hii newbies,
>         I just started studying for linux-kernel development although I am not
> completely new to open source technologies. I wanted to clarify my doubts in the
> following things
> 1. Where can I find issues/tickets regarding linux-kernel, to work on ?
> 2. What's the best resource to get started on linux-kernel development ?
> I started reading kernel-newbies guides, though.

  i make this suggestion on a semi-regular basis ... if you want
something that desperately needs doing, work on improving the
documentation. there is never a lack of docs that need improving, and
it gives you a chance to *safely* learn a lot of new stuff.

rday

* Re: Finding bugs/issues to work on
@ 2020-03-24 12:36 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2020-03-24 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suraj Upadhyay; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 04:49:29PM +0530, Suraj Upadhyay wrote:
> Hii newbies,
>         I just started studying for linux-kernel development although I am
> not completely new to open source technologies. I wanted to clarify my
> doubts in the following things
> 1. Where can I find issues/tickets regarding linux-kernel, to work on ?

It depends on the part of the kernel you are interested in, what part is
that?

> 2. What's the best resource to get started on linux-kernel development ?
> I started reading kernel-newbies guides, though.

That's a great start, what is wrong with that?

good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: Finding bugs/issues to work on
@ 2020-03-26  1:50 ` Valdis Klētnieks