kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* How to signal kernel that shared library is not in use by any process anymore ?
@ 2018-12-21 14:20 Lev Olshvang
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lev Olshvang @ 2018-12-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-il

Hi All,

I have  an executable (C++) which is the exclusive user of the some shared library that it uses only during  the initialization phase.

I would like to free memory used by this shared library, because I am running on embedded system.

How can I achieve this?

I know that dlopen() will load shared library, and hope that following dlclose() will free this lib memory.

1. Still  I do not know what method should be used to make dynamic linker look again into executable and resolve symbols of the newly appeared symbols ?
2. And  how to tell the dynamic linker ld-linux.so to postpone the symbol resolution until dlopen()  will load  the library?
3. Whether to compile and link executable with this library or leave unresolved symbols?

Waiting for your advises,
Lev.