kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* How to reverse engineer a PCI-Express driver under Linux ?
@ 2021-03-03  9:18 Tomek LECOCQ
From: Tomek LECOCQ @ 2021-03-03  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

I have a PCI-Express video capture card that has a proprietary driver for Linux.
I have some experience with programming in C, and so I would like to start a hobby project to develop a free/libre driver for this device for Linux.
Of course I don’t have access to any documentation about how to communicate with this device, so I think I will need to reverse-engineer the way the existing driver communicates with the hardware. How could I achieve this ?
Also, the long term goal of this project would be to have this driver merged into mainline, so what is allowed or not while doing this to avoid problematic legal ramifications ?
Thank you for your help.

Best regards.
Tomek Lecocq

* Re: How to reverse engineer a PCI-Express driver under Linux ?
@ 2021-03-03  9:31 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-03-03  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomek LECOCQ; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 09:18:18AM +0000, Tomek LECOCQ wrote:
> Also, the long term goal of this project would be to have this driver merged into mainline, so what is allowed or not while doing this to avoid problematic legal ramifications ?

Please do not ask programmers legal questions, would you ask your
medical doctor kernel programming questions?

If you have legal questions about doing this sort of thing, please
contact a lawyer, don't trust random people on a public mailing list on
the internet for advice.

good luck!

greg k-h