kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Re: Enquiry for contribute in Linux Kernel
       [not found] <CAGzpWioVjQMK+mtWhp_nqpw8c5exw4tKMazSacHOd4KZAGs3JA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-02-05 13:29 ` Ezra Buehler
From: Ezra Buehler @ 2021-02-05 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhijit Paul; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi Abhijit Paul,

On 5 Feb 2021, at 08:00, Abhijit Paul <coder.abhijit90@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I don't know what to learn. I know the C/C++ programming language.

C and C++ are two different languages that are (normally) used very
differently. So, you might want to start with getting more familiar with
how code in a C project like Linux is written. In general, I believe
that the only way to learn software development is to find yourself a
project/problem you would like to work on/solve. If you cannot find
anything within the Linux project, maybe also consider a user space
application that is written in C, there are many of those out there.

> Do I need to learn about operating systems and how they work?

I would say it depends on what you plan to do. E.g. to get started with
driver development, I don't think you need to know in depth how an
operating system/kernel works. But, of course you should be a proficient
GNU/Linux user, or you won't get very far.

Good look!

Cheers,
Ezra.

@ 2021-02-05 14:29 ` Krishna Deshpande
From: Krishna Deshpande @ 2021-02-05 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

The basic C/C++ you've learned is necessary but in OS Dev things are bit different I would suggest you to look around https://kernelnewbies.org/ https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ and try to get a sense of things. I would also suggest you to take a look at https://wiki.osdev.org/ this isn't a Linux kernel specific thing but you can learn a lot from here. Most important thing is don't get overwhelmed by the source code of Linux try to focus on one struct, function or something like that and try to unravel it from there instead of trying to read every word from https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source