kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  6:38 Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi
From: Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi @ 2021-04-14  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

i am newbie to linux BSP and i want to get some hand on with BSP. Can someone kindly suggest what all the components of BSP also i need to port BSP from one arch to other what and all things i should consider to get it ported ??

Thanks

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  6:47 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-14  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:38:36AM +0000, Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> i am newbie to linux BSP and i want to get some hand on with BSP. Can someone kindly suggest what all the components of BSP also i need to port BSP from one arch to other what and all things i should consider to get it ported ??

What have you tried and looked at that was not enough information?

And what do you mean exactly by "BSP"?

What exactly are you trying to do?  Specific questions are best.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  6:54   ` Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi
From: Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi @ 2021-04-14  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi Greg KH,

i understood BSP (Board support packages ) contains u-boot , drivers ,dts  apart from this what are the elements of BSP i am not able to understand.

Scenario is, i want to port linux BSP to the android BSP and for that i am trying to gather the information about the BSP, what exectly it is, where i should change all kind of stuff

Hope i made you clear with what i am looking for

Warm regards

________________________________
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:38:36AM +0000, Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
> i am newbie to linux BSP and i want to get some hand on with BSP. Can someone kindly suggest what all the components of BSP also i need to port BSP from one arch to other what and all things i should consider to get it ported ??

What have you tried and looked at that was not enough information?

And what do you mean exactly by "BSP"?

What exactly are you trying to do?  Specific questions are best.

good luck!

greg k-h
[EXT]

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  7:05     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-14  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 06:54:49AM +0000, Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi wrote:
> Hi Greg KH,
>
> i understood BSP (Board support packages ) contains u-boot , drivers
> ,dts  apart from this what are the elements of BSP i am not able to
> understand.

It all depends on who you got this "BSP" from.  You are paying for
support from the vendor whose chip you bought, why not consult their
documentation and ask them for help?

> Scenario is, i want to port linux BSP to the android BSP and for that
> i am trying to gather the information about the BSP, what exectly it
> is, where i should change all kind of stuff

At the kernel level, there is no difference between "linux bsp" and
"android bsp", it's all just Linux down there.

And again, ask your vendor for this help, you are paying for it already.

> Hope i made you clear with what i am looking for

Not really, sorry. Please be specific as to what you have tried and what
did not work.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  7:24       ` Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi
From: Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi @ 2021-04-14  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Ok, Exactly i was looking for any changes are there w.r.t BSP in linux-mainline kernel and android kernel but you made me clear with like there will be no changes in linux kernel source code including drivers,dtsi  right ??

Yes i do agree i am paying for BSP to the board vendors but i was trying to get the things which needs to changes as my vendor doesnt provide support for android and i want to make android up with my device which have support for linux only.

Thanks

________________________________

@ 2021-04-14  7:47         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 07:24:29AM +0000, Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi wrote:
> Ok, Exactly i was looking for any changes are there w.r.t BSP in
> linux-mainline kernel and android kernel but you made me clear with
> like there will be no changes in linux kernel source code including
> drivers,dtsi  right ??

No idea, it depends on your hardware.

> Yes i do agree i am paying for BSP to the board vendors but i was
> trying to get the things which needs to changes as my vendor doesnt
> provide support for android and i want to make android up with my
> device which have support for linux only.

Again "linux" is the kernel, and Android is only the userspace stuff on
top of that.  They are independent, you can run "Android" on a desktop
just fine.

Take look at the Android documentation for how to set this all up, there
are loads of resources online for this.

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  7:50         ` Saket Sinha
From: Saket Sinha @ 2021-04-14  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi Pankaj,

Like Greg mentioned there has been a lot of effort in getting android
kernel mainlined so most probably you will not find any issues there.

Most of the Boards(SOCs) are supported in kernel via device tree, configs
etc.

For android userspace and libraries refer - https://source.android.com/

Regards,
Saket Sinha

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 9:25 AM Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi <
Pankaj.VJ@exaleapsemi.com> wrote:

> Ok, Exactly i was looking for any changes are there w.r.t BSP in
> linux-mainline kernel and android kernel but you made me clear with like
> there will be no changes in linux kernel source code including
> drivers,dtsi  right ??
>
> Yes i do agree i am paying for BSP to the board vendors but i was trying
> to get the things which needs to changes as my vendor doesnt provide
> support for android and i want to make android up with my device which have
> support for linux only.
>

> Thanks
>

> ------------------------------

* Re: Linux kernel BSP
@ 2021-04-14  8:03           ` Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi
From: Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi @ 2021-04-14  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saket Sinha; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Hi Saket,
Thanks for response. I would like to tell saket in AOSP there is no support for my device but yes i do have complete support for linux-mainline.

For me to work android perfectly on my device what do you think where i should change in AOSP , do you have any idea about like where some arch specific changes needs to be done in AOSP??

Kindly share the references as well if you have

Thanks
________________________________

@ 2021-04-14  8:15             ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-04-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Vinodrao Joshi; +Cc: Saket Sinha, kernelnewbies

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 08:03:10AM +0000, Pankaj  Vinodrao Joshi wrote:
> Hi Saket,
> Thanks for response. I would like to tell saket in AOSP there is no support for my device but yes i do have complete support for linux-mainline.
>
> For me to work android perfectly on my device what do you think where i should change in AOSP , do you have any idea about like where some arch specific changes needs to be done in AOSP??

What failed when you booted AOSP on your hardware?

What failed when you built AOSP for your hardware?

Again, try it and see...

good luck!

greg k-h