From: Tomek The Messenger <tomekthemessenger@gmail.com>
To: kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: TPM error 256 (TPM_RC_INITIALIZE)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 17:18:41 +0200

Hi
Was anyone dealing with TPM?
I have error during TPM initialization:
tpm tpm0: A TPM error (256) occurred continue seltest

And I have similar error when executing /sbin/reboot:
tpm tpm0: A TMP error (256) occurred stopping the TPM

What I might say is that in filesystem there are files:
dev/tmp0
dev/tmprm0

Looking solution in google I found two different opinions:
One is not to matter with this error:
"Yeah, those messages are confusing if you are not used to them, maybe I
get to clean that up at some point.

In this case, the kernel
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/char/tpm/tpm2-cmd.c?h=v4.9.56#n970>
assumes
that the platform has started the TPM, but as RC_INITIALIZE shows this is
not the case. So the kernel will happily start the TPM and retry the
action, but you do not get any success message for that. But you should get
your /dev/tpm* if everything works."

Second opinion is:

"The device is usable but not with a full potential. It's seems that TPM is
not getting initialized correctly in the firmware."

Is something needed to debug here? Maybe I should ask authors of this
drivers what those errors during linux startup and close mean?