From: Tomek The Messenger <tomekthemessenger@gmail.com>
To: kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Should I return NOTIFY_DONE always from restart handler?
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:06:04 +0100

Hi
There is such struct as 'notifier_block'. It has member 'notifier_call'
where You assign pointer to your function (handler) and priority. Then You
register such notifier block to restart handler list.
Then when You type in linux reboot Your function might be invoked (depends
on priority you set and if You don't have registered arm_pm_restart
function which is typically done through device tree) .
My question is should I always return NOTIFY_DONE from my restart handler?
Or can I return some error code? In fact this doesn't make sense to return
any other code value as Your restart handler has to succeed always in order
not to halt system and not to do manually recovery by power off/on.