kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Test the kernel code
@ 2019-10-05  3:07 CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ
From: CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ @ 2019-10-05  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello

I am starting to develop the kernel and I have been compiling the kernel,
now it has been compiling for some time now. When a patch is added, should
everything be compiled again? Or is there a different way to test the code
that has been written?

* Re: Test the kernel code
@ 2019-10-05  3:52 ` Adam Zerella
From: Adam Zerella @ 2019-10-05  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 10:07:21PM -0500, CRISTIAN ANDRES VARGAS GONZALEZ wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am starting to develop the kernel and I have been compiling the kernel,
> now it has been compiling for some time now. When a patch is added, should
> everything be compiled again? Or is there a different way to test the code
> that has been written?

From what I understand you'll only have to build the _entire_ kernel
once and subsequent builds should be faster. The build process should
rebuild modules that have a detected change in them.

You may be able to build the kernel a bit faster by running the process
in parallel. make has an argument of `-j` where you can specify the number
of CPU cores to utilise, for example `make -j4` would build with 4 CPUs
in parallel.

To build an individual kernel module you can specify something like `make
M=drivers/staging/android/`.

Checkout (no pun intended) https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild for more info.

* Re: Test the kernel code
@ 2019-10-05  4:18 ` Valdis Klētnieks