From: Pankaj Suryawanshi <pankajssuryawanshi@gmail.com>
To: Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz>
Cc: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>,
	minchan@kernel.org, kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, "Michal Hocko" <mhocko@kernel.org>,
	linux-mm@kvack.org
Subject: Re: Page Allocation Failure and Page allocation stalls
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 22:17:14 +0530

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 2:35 PM Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@suse.cz> wrote:

> On 5/3/19 7:44 PM, Pankaj Suryawanshi wrote:
> >> First possibility that comes to mind is that a usermodehelper got launched, and
> >> it then tried to fork with a very large active process image.  Do we have any
> >> clues what was going on?  Did a device get hotplugged?
> >
> > Yes,The system is android and it tries to allocate memory for video
> > player from CMA reserved memory using custom octl call for dma apis.
>
> The stacktrace doesn't look like a CMA allocation though. That would be
> doing alloc_contig_range(), not kmalloc(). Could be some CMA area setup
> issue?

I know cma uses alloc_contig_range() but using dma api it will uses
many functions.
the failure is coming from dma_common_contiguous_remap() for kmalloc ,
and which is called by dma_alloc_attr for cma allocation.

Please let me know, how to avoid page allocation stalls. any reason ?
Cpu Utilization issue ? or I am running out of memory ?

My System configuration is
2GB RAM
Memory Spilt 2G/2G
vmalloc=1024M