Thank you Greg. About the last one , it's been a while but I wasn't sure whether Linux was going to do its own enumeration. Of course it's best to take advantage of all the stuff done by UEFI , padding etc. S On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 12:48, Greg KH wrote: > On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 12:40:59PM -0500, Sadanand Warrier wrote: > > Hi > > I had question about PCIe hotplug. We have hardware that is connected > > to the host by means of two PCIe switches. i.e. the host sees a PCIe > switch > > connected to one of its buses and on the far side of that switch another > > PCIe switch which has a PCIe device. > > It is possible that this device does not train its host facing PCIe > > links before the server enumerates down its PCI bus and reaches those > > links. It is also possible the PCIe switch to which the device is > attached > > has not been able to train its own links before server enumeration. > > Is PCIe hotplug built to work on schemes like this? Let us assume that > > the hardware has been designed to trasmit a presence signal once the > links > > are trained but this could happen after the server enumeration? > > Look at the PCIe hotplug spec, it should answer all of your questions > about this. > > > Incidentally does the server take advantage of the BIOS/UEFI > enumeration? > > Yes, of course, how else would the kernel be able to enumerate PCI > devices? :) > > thanks, > > greg k-h >