kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: Anupam Kapoor <anupam.kapoor@gmail.com>
To: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>
Cc: Sumit Kumar <sumit686215@gmail.com>,
	kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: Re: transfer physical memory page to swap disk
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 12:45:57 +0000	[thread overview]

>> but if _all_ that is required is randomly unmapping some marked
>> application pages, _that_ can be naively 'done' by the application
>> itself :)

> Note that in this case, "naively" includes "not remembering to consider
> that the page being unmapped may have contained data we'd rather
> have kept by flushing the page to disk" :)

but is it that bad ?

before marking a page unmappable, the application has full control
over what it wants to do with the data, and can choose to dump it
to the appropriate destination.

or if enough information is available, the unmapper thread can itself
play that role.

thinking some more about it, application has full control over the
unmap/resurrect behavior. though latter might not be as
transparent...

--
kind regards
anupam

In the beginning was the lambda, and the lambda was with Emacs, and Emacs
was the lambda.