kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com>
To: Praveen Kumar <kpraveen.lkml@gmail.com>
Cc: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>,
	kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: Re: /proc/modules not showing any output
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 11:34:03 -0500	[thread overview]

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 11:18 AM Praveen Kumar <kpraveen.lkml@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:28 PM Aruna Hewapathirane
> <aruna.hewapathirane@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >>
> >> I think, on my test machine, by default, there are many modules which
> >> get added during boot up, which with vanilla kernel is not happening.
> >> Thanks for your input.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> ~Praveen.
> >>

> > What does lsmod show you in the vanilla kernel ? If you want the same
> modules to load in the vanilla
> > kernel folow steps given below:
> >
> > 1 -boot into the older 4.4.162-78-defaultkernel
> > 2 - change into the vanilla kernel source 4.20.0-rc6 builddirectory
> > 3 - $ lsmod > lsmod.txt
> > 4 - $ make LSMOD="lsmod.txt" localmodconfig
> >
> > Boot into your newly compiled vanilla kernel and run lsmod and smile :-)
> >
> > Hope this helps - Aruna
> >
> Thanks Aruna. This helps.

Glad we could help. I noticed your running Ubuntu ? Since your testing and
compiling
why not give Debian a go ? Ubuntu uses both free and proprietary software
while Debian
uses free software only and with Debian there are zero surprises. Rock
solid, Stable and
is actually lightweight compared to Ubuntu. Good luck.

Aruna