kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Which package typically includes network controller drivers
@ 2019-11-15 21:18 Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2019-11-15 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Everyone,

My apologies if this one is off-topic.

I recently encountered a bad apt update using Ubuntu. The 5.0.0-36
kernel was installed, but it was missing network card drivers. I tried
to modprobe the network card drivers but they were missing.

I was able to recover by standing up a VM, copying the *.deb files
from /var/cache/apt/archive, sneaker netting to the wounded machine,
and then manually re-installing the packages.

My question is, which package typically includes the network card
drivers? I believe the choices are
linux-modules or linux-modules-extras.

Thanks in advance

$ apt-cache search 5.0.0-36 | grep generic | cut -f 1 -d ' '
linux-buildinfo-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-cloud-tools-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-headers-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-image-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-image-unsigned-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-modules-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.0.0-36-generic
linux-tools-5.0.0-36-generic

* Re: Which package typically includes network controller drivers
@ 2019-11-15 22:08 ` Connor Kuehl
From: Connor Kuehl @ 2019-11-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noloader, kernelnewbies

On 11/15/19 1:18 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> My apologies if this one is off-topic.
>
> I recently encountered a bad apt update using Ubuntu. The 5.0.0-36
> kernel was installed, but it was missing network card drivers. I tried
> to modprobe the network card drivers but they were missing.
>
> I was able to recover by standing up a VM, copying the *.deb files
> from /var/cache/apt/archive, sneaker netting to the wounded machine,
> and then manually re-installing the packages.
>
> My question is, which package typically includes the network card
> drivers? I believe the choices are
> linux-modules or linux-modules-extras.

Hi Jeffrey,

The best course of action here would be to file a bug on Ubuntu's bug
tracker: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux

Your instinct is correct though. The most common modules that aren't
built-in to the kernel (i.e., compiled as CONFIG_BLAH=y) are in the
linux-modules package. There's a good chance your driver (should be) in
there. The linux-modules-extras are basically "everything else".

Please do file a bug on launchpad as I do think distro-related support
is a little off-topic for this mailing list.

- Connor

* Re: Which package typically includes network controller drivers
@ 2019-11-15 23:25   ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2019-11-15 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Connor Kuehl; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM Connor Kuehl <connor.kuehl@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 11/15/19 1:18 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> >
> > My apologies if this one is off-topic.
> >
> > I recently encountered a bad apt update using Ubuntu. The 5.0.0-36
> > kernel was installed, but it was missing network card drivers. I tried
> > to modprobe the network card drivers but they were missing.
> >
> > I was able to recover by standing up a VM, copying the *.deb files
> > from /var/cache/apt/archive, sneaker netting to the wounded machine,
> > and then manually re-installing the packages.
> >
> > My question is, which package typically includes the network card
> > drivers? I believe the choices are
> > linux-modules or linux-modules-extras.
>
> Your instinct is correct though. The most common modules that aren't
> built-in to the kernel (i.e., compiled as CONFIG_BLAH=y) are in the
> linux-modules package. There's a good chance your driver (should be) in
> there. The linux-modules-extras are basically "everything else".

One last question, if you don't mind...

I'm wondering who/what creates linux-modules adn linux-modules-extras.
I would not be surprised if the kernel's scripts created a rpm by
default. (But I would be surprised to learn it created, say, Pacman
packages).

Does the kernel's build scripts perform any packaging? Or is it left
to a distro?

Jeff

* Re: Which package typically includes network controller drivers
@ 2019-11-16  2:24     ` Connor Kuehl
From: Connor Kuehl @ 2019-11-16  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noloader; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On 11/15/19 3:25 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> One last question, if you don't mind...
>
> I'm wondering who/what creates linux-modules adn linux-modules-extras.
> I would not be surprised if the kernel's scripts created a rpm by
> default. (But I would be surprised to learn it created, say, Pacman
> packages).

I don't know about other distros since I'm most familiar with Ubuntu,
but this is how Ubuntu ships their kernels & modules. I don't know if
other distros split theirs like this.

> Does the kernel's build scripts perform any packaging? Or is it left
> to a distro?

It can!

You can run "make debpkg" (or "make bindeb-pkg" to avoid a clean) to
produce Debian packages "make rpm-pkg" to produce RPM packages.

- Connor