kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Re:
       [not found] <w2q9lf-sait7s-qswxlnzeof4i-7j13q0-zgu9pt-xk3x5enp994p-kewn2p-o86qyug0mutj-91m157sheva0-4k2l8v20kyjp-heu04baxqdc7op987-9zc0bxi0jcgo-wyl26layz5p9-esqncc-g48ass.1610618007875@email.android.com>
@ 2021-01-14 10:09 ` Alexander Kapshuk
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2021-01-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bigbird2444; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 11:54 AM ‪bigbird2444@163.com‬
<bigbird2444@163.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:01 AM Alexander Kapshuk
> <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM bigbird2444@163.com <bigbird2444@163.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > I've just added a newbies mailing list, How to join other mailing lists, and I'd like to see what other people are communicating with.

> > and see if that's what you were after.
>
> >If you just would like to read the mails on >the different mailing
> >list, you do not need to subscribe.
>
> >You can find all emails at >https://lore.kernel.org/lists.html, just
> >look into the various mailing lists and see >what is of interest to
> >you.
>
> >Lukas
>

> Thank you, how do I subscribe to other mailing lists?
>
> Liang Peng

linux-next, http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-next,
followed by clicking on the subscribe link, which would launch your
email client, if available, with majordomo@vger.kernel.org as the
recipient and the following email body:
subscribe name-of-mailing-list

Alternatively, you could simply send the subscription request above
using an email client of your preference.

* Re:
@ 2020-03-17 10:10   ` suvrojit
From: suvrojit @ 2020-03-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: kernelnewbies, Sankalp Bhardwaj

ULK by Bovet Cessati is the book u should start reading Sankalp

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020, 2:44 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 04:37:58 +0530, Sankalp Bhardwaj said:
>
> > Where to get started?? I am interested in understanding how the
> > kernel works but have no prior knowledge... Please help!!
>
> A good place to start is to realize that the answers often depend on what
> the
> question is - and there's usually a difference between the question that is
> asked, and the question that the person needs the answer for.  You probably
> want to read this:
>

> https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html
>
> Something that you'll need is a good understanding of operating system
> concepts. Almost all modern computer systems have some idea of basic
> concepts
> such as processes, files, a directory structure, security and permissions,
> scheduling, locking, and so on.  And for most of these, there is more than
> one
> way to accomplish the goal.
>
> So two books that are useful to read for a compare-and-contrast view are
> Bach's
> book on the System V kernel, and McKusic's book on the BSD kernel - both go
> into details of *why* some things are done they are.  It's really helpful
> see stuff like "We need to lock this inode while we do X, because otherwise
> another thread could concurrently do Y, and then Bad Thing Z will happen".
>
> Of course, a Linux filesystem that does things differently won't have the
> same
> exact issues, but understanding the *sort* of things that break when you
> screw
> up your locking is quite the useful info, especially if most of your
> coding has
> been in userspace where single-threaded is common and libraries did their
> own
> locking when needed.
>
> I admit that I also learned a bunch from Tanenbaum's "Modern Operating
> Systems", but that was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and I
> have no idea what the cool kids are reading instead these days...

* Re:
@ 2020-03-17  9:13 ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2020-03-17  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sankalp Bhardwaj; +Cc: kernelnewbies