kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: ranshalit@gmail.com (Ranran)
To: kernelnewbies@lists.kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Why eeprom driver is read-only ?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 00:04:03 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM Ruben Safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> On 11/19/18 7:08 AM, Ranran wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the reason that kernel driver of eeprom is configured only as
> > read-only ?
> >
> > Is it because the BIOS is stored there ?
> >
> > Is there a way to make it writable ?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Ran

> because the ROM is read only?

That's interesting...
I think the name is confusing, because this chips are also writable.

Not only this, but in arm the eeprom (at24) is writable!
But in the x86 I am using, it is readonly in kernel code:
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/omap/+/glass-omap-xrr02/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom.c
static struct bin_attribute eeprom_attr = {
.attr = {
.name = "eeprom",
.mode = S_IRUGO,
},