On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 6:53 AM Navin P wrote: > Hi, > > As of 5.11 kernel (pid,pid_start_time) is not unique /monotonic even > though the underlying counters are . > I chose start_boottime because i wanted the counter to increase > during suspend as well. > > 1. Is there any case where task->start_boottime or > ktime_get_boottime_ns doesn't become monotonic i.e increasing ? > > 2. If start_boottime is not monotonic which counter to use ? > > 3. If i create a new field in task_struct , then i can use a > atomic_add_return(1,&v) to fill in the task->new_field. Will this also > work ? > > Its my understanding that task-struct is a highly "contended" resource. its a basic element, its size matters everybody wants a bit/byte for something special, conflicts ensue (or could). nobody gets them without a real good reason. I dont know what youre trying to achieve, but i suspect that youll need to find a more subtle way of doing it.