Kernel Newbies Archive on lore.kernel.org
* make menuconfig
@ 2021-03-20 19:07 Martin Herdeis
From: Martin Herdeis @ 2021-03-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernelnewbies

* Re: make menuconfig
@ 2021-03-25 18:52 ` jim.cromie
From: jim.cromie @ 2021-03-25 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Herdeis; +Cc: Kernelnewbies

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 1:07 PM Martin Herdeis <martinherdeis@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to learn more about the kernel build system and due to that I
> tried the following in the top level Kconfig file right at the beginning:
>
> config FOO
>         tristate
>         prompt "FOO"
> config BAR
>         tristate "BAR" if FOO

i suspect that last line - it feels like a thinko,
combining a declaration  and a dependency.

moreover,   `ack tristate`   (recursive grep w other nicetohaves)
shows 0 such uses.

heres typical usage

drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/Kconfig
3: tristate "Intel OPA Gen1 support"

drivers/infiniband/hw/vmw_pvrdma/Kconfig
3: tristate "VMware Paravirtualized RDMA Driver"

drivers/infiniband/hw/mlx4/Kconfig
3: tristate "Mellanox ConnectX HCA support"

drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca/Kconfig
3: tristate "Mellanox HCA support"

drivers/infiniband/hw/qib/Kconfig
3: tristate "Intel PCIe HCA support"