kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
From: jim.cromie@gmail.com
To: Andrew Adamson <andrewdadamson@gmail.com>
Cc: kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org>
Subject: Re: Unable to boot to kernel built from stable 5.11.y
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 08:31:43 -0600	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 7:16 AM Andrew Adamson <andrewdadamson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I tried to build the kernel myself for the first a few days ago. While the
> build was successful, I am unable to boot to it. After grub I get a
> blinking cursor for 15 to 30 minutes, and then a message that says "Please
> reboot and select proper boot device."

I dont know your higher mission, but I'll suggest:

punt on grub install at least temporarily,
Try virtme.
its a super-easy way to run your built kernel on a VM
the VM is setup to use your existing installation
so theres no extra configuration to fuss with.

[jimc@frodo t2]$ virtme-
virtme-configkernel    virtme-mkinitramfs     virtme-prep-kdir-mods
 virtme-run

this is probably all you need to enable the right features in your built
kernel,
basically VIRTIO + NET

[jimc@frodo t2]$ virtme-configkernel --update
  GEN     Makefile
.config:3468:warning: override: reassigning to symbol UEVENT_HELPER
.config:3469:warning: override: reassigning to symbol VIRTIO
.config:3472:warning: override: reassigning to symbol NET
.config:3482:warning: override: reassigning to symbol BINFMT_SCRIPT
.config:3486:warning: override: reassigning to symbol MODULE_SIG_FORCE
.config:3487:warning: override: reassigning to symbol DEVTMPFS
.config:3488:warning: override: reassigning to symbol TTY
.config:3492:warning: override: reassigning to symbol INOTIFY_USER
.config:3495:warning: override: reassigning to symbol BLOCK
.config:3505:warning: override: reassigning to symbol WATCHDOG
.config:3506:warning: override: reassigning to symbol WATCHDOG_CORE
.config:3509:warning: override: reassigning to symbol SERIO
.config:3511:warning: override: reassigning to symbol INPUT
.config:3518:warning: override: reassigning to symbol FB
.config:3521:warning: override: reassigning to symbol RTC_CLASS
.config:3525:warning: override: reassigning to symbol PARAVIRT
#
# configuration written to .config
#
Configured.  Build with 'make ARCH=x86 -j8'
[jimc@frodo t2]$

there are options to let you mount directories, to keep your VMs work,
so this might satisfy your itch.

then, you can decide whether you need to mess with grub,
and if you do, youll have some own-kernel experience to help.