kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* How to detect slab memory leak
@ 2018-12-16  6:23 Naruto Nguyen
From: Naruto Nguyen @ 2018-12-16  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everyone,

When using slabtop to display the cache size growing, I see that
kmalloc-1024 and kmalloc-256 are increasing about 200MB after 1 hour.
Is there any way to detect which kernel components cause this slab
increase?

Thanks a lot,
Brs,
Naruto

* Re: How to detect slab memory leak
@ 2018-12-18  7:42 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2018-12-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naruto Nguyen; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:25 PM Naruto Nguyen <narutonguyen2018@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> When using slabtop to display the cache size growing, I see that
> kmalloc-1024 and kmalloc-256 are increasing about 200MB after 1 hour.
> Is there any way to detect which kernel components cause this slab
> increase?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Brs,
> Naruto

Hello Naruto

I think you can do it by instrumenting call to kmalloc(). These days, eBPF
is the hot stuff to try for this matter. See if it fits yours too.

regards,

Mulyadi

regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Re: How to detect slab memory leak
@ 2018-12-18  8:31   ` Harsh Jain
From: Harsh Jain @ 2018-12-18  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mulyadi Santosa; +Cc: Naruto Nguyen, kernelnewbies

You can try kernel config option "CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK".

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.10/dev-tools/kmemleak.html

@ 2018-12-19 11:58     ` Naruto Nguyen
From: Naruto Nguyen @ 2018-12-19 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harsh Jain; +Cc: Mulyadi Santosa, kernelnewbies

Hi Harsh and Mulyadi,

Thanks a lot  for your reply.

Just another question, in the slabtop output, I see that we have
kmalloc-64 and kmalloc-96 cache, when these caches increase their
size, is it calculated in the "cache" of the "free" command or in
"used". Is it reclaimable? and count in SReclaimable or SUnreclaim of
cat /proc/meminfo? I know some cache like dentry or inode cache will
be calculated in "cache" of free command output and SReclaimable of
cat /proc/meminfo and can be freed by "echo 3 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" but not sure if it the same situation for
kmalloc-64 and kmalloc-96 cache.

Thanks again,
Brs,
Bao