kernelnewbies.kernelnewbies.org archive mirror
* Why linux kernel mailing list stop send email to me
@ 2019-10-17  5:29 wuzhouhui
From: wuzhouhui @ 2019-10-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kernelnewbies

Subscription succeed and I got a lot of email from linux kernel. However, I don't
get any new email since yesterday and it is impossible for linux kernel mailing
list. So the reason should be that I have unsubscribed passively.

I only receive email and never send email to linux kernel. So why I can't receive
new emails?

Thanks.
From: Valentin Vidić @ 2019-10-17  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 01:29:04PM +0800, wuzhouhui wrote:
> Subscription succeed and I got a lot of email from linux kernel. However, I don't
> get any new email since yesterday and it is impossible for linux kernel mailing
> list. So the reason should be that I have unsubscribed passively.
>
> I only receive email and never send email to linux kernel. So why I can't receive
> new emails?

Maybe your mail account is over quota or blocked on the mail server
for some other reason?

--
Valentin

@ 2019-10-17 14:15   ` Cindy Sue Causey
From: Cindy Sue Causey @ 2019-10-17 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel Newbies

On 10/17/19, Valentin Vidić <vvidic@valentin-vidic.from.hr> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 01:29:04PM +0800, wuzhouhui wrote:
>> Few days ago, I subscribe linux kernel mailing list
>> (linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org).
>> Subscription succeed and I got a lot of email from linux kernel. However,
>> I don't
>> get any new email since yesterday and it is impossible for linux kernel
>> mailing
>> list. So the reason should be that I have unsubscribed passively.
>>
>> I only receive email and never send email to linux kernel. So why I can't
>> receive
>> new emails?
>
> Maybe your mail account is over quota or blocked on the mail server
> for some other reason?

I was thinking similar. Something I learned on the fly is that some
lists *will* silently unsubscribe us for too many bounces, soft or
otherwise.

I'm in my inbox ALL THE TIME. I think that's the culprit in my
situation so I'm mentioning it in case that applies to anyone else's
usage.

The impression I'm getting is that actively using a *web based* email
account while a notable quantity of email is incoming might jam up the
flow. If that's what is happening, it could easily cause those "soft"
bounces that high volume email lists understandably don't have the
room to mitigate specifically because they *are* high volume.

Just thinking out loud.. :)

Cindy :)
--
* runs with birdseed *